The Student Room Group

American student applying to UK colleges

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Edminzodo
Check each university site, but to give you an example, https://www.dur.ac.uk/international/country.information/ (scroll down for US)

thank you!!!
Original post by a.sagl
Ok--thank you for all your info! Just want to clarify something again. When a university lists requirements as being AAA, is that meaning you need to have an A in 3 (specifically AP) courses that are english? Or just an A in 3 general courses (like math, sciences, and so on) in school in general.

They do not directly translate. Look up "<university you're looking at> AP requirements" or similar, or try to find the page on the university you're looking at's website that addresses international qualifications. These should explain what they expect from candidates from the US. I doubt it'd be 3 AP courses in English, I'd expect it'd be 3 APs in say, english and two related subjects. (generally - candidates take courses related to their subject and don't really do the broad curriculum that the US does) But subject preferences could also be addressed on the website.
Reply 22
Original post by _gcx
They do not directly translate. Look up "<university you're looking at> AP requirements" or similar, or try to find the page on the university you're looking at's website that addresses international qualifications. These should explain what they expect from candidates from the US. I doubt it'd be 3 AP courses in English, I'd expect it'd be 3 APs in say, english and two related subjects. (generally - candidates take courses related to their subject and don't really do the broad curriculum that the US does) But subject preferences could also be addressed on the website.

Ok, thank you so much for your time!
Our university system is quite different. You focus on one subject, it's not like in America where there is more choice of modules you can take to make up your degree. We don't have the major and minor thing, but you can take 1 module in a related subject usually. You can also do a joint honours degree if you want to study two subjects equally. So why do you want to study at an English university?
Hey I'm currently a third year student (senior) at UK university and an American! I know first-hand how difficult the process is. Let me know if there's anything I can help you with - although I did IB and not APs.

Quick Reply

Latest