The Student Room Group

Scared of death

Ive always been scared of death, I mean who isn’t? But recently it’s been on my mind a LOT. Like I’ll think about it and then I’ll think about it even more and realise that I’m going to die one day. And I have no idea what happens after death, but I assume most likely it’s just nothing, not even blackness. I won’t even exist and I won’t be able to process a thought. It scares the **** out of me. Even worse that I won’t even know when I’ll die or if I’ll even die a sudden death or in an accident.
I think I know why I’m so scared of death, I went to parklife this year and I did Mandy (mdma), when I got back to the hotel I had psychosis and I legit thought I was going to die. I’d never been so scared in my life, I felt like I was in a box and I was looking at my friend unable to speak, so many thoughts were racing through my mind like “is this it? Am I going to die?” I thought I’d done too much and I was going to die from it.
Since then I’ve thought about death a lot, I sometimes cry when I think about it. Will I ever not be scared of dying? My anxiety over it is actually getting worse 😣
It’s a fact that all of us will die one day, so why fight it?

You need to turn this around by focusing on your life rather than your death. All these hours you spend worrying, you could be doing such cool stuff!! I one heard of a guru who said that before you die, you should make sure you leave a legacy. This may be getting a worthwhile hobby that you can feel real enjoyment doing, having fun with friends, or even helping others.

I, for instance really enjoy commenting on the student room. I have even enjoyed writing this post, especially if it is useful to you. Reaching out to others is very satisfying and gives you a solid purpose to life.

I know it’s hard when you are young and everything in life seems a bit unsettled. However when you have a regular pattern to your life, it becomes easier. I was diagnosed with type 3 cancer at the age of 39. I was a single parent to two children aged 3 and 7 and somehow had to keep going for their sake.

I was given the all clear in 2012. I could spend all my time worrying about it coming back, but I think of it very rarely. I’m just too busy getting on with my life.

Never mind living with cancer. Cancer will have to live with me!!

I really feel for you, op, and am sending you many virtual hugs!

If you really feel your fear of death is still a problem, maybe go and see your Gp, who may put you in touch with a counsellor. You will feel much better if you are able to explain your thoughts with someone sympathetic.

Xx

Quick Reply

Latest