The Student Room Group

Jobs with no experience

Hi every one, I have experience in support work but I would like to get some experience in another area such as retail or reception /admin has anybody got any tips of how to get these jobs because I am always rejected
Do voluntary work first, like in a charity shop, then work your way up.
Reply 2
I had no retail experience before I joined Primark, so if you have one nearby, you can always try there :smile: but if not, voluntary roles in charity shops are a good way to gain experience.
Reply 3
Reception or admin shouldn't need prior experience unless they're high paying or if they specify otherwise. Keep trying and your luck will turn
Reply 4
Original post by xDron3
Reception or admin shouldn't need prior experience unless they're high paying or if they specify otherwise. Keep trying and your luck will turn

Yes I would think that however every receptionist job I've applied for or they ask for experience , and I don't get the job. I even went for an interview for a receptionist but did not get it. I even volunteered at mind so I could get reception experience but it still didnt work
Reply 5
Original post by lau19
I had no retail experience before I joined Primark, so if you have one nearby, you can always try there :smile: but if not, voluntary roles in charity shops are a good way to gain experience.

Thanks ill try Primark first.
Reply 6
Original post by Tonic Water
Do voluntary work first, like in a charity shop, then work your way up.

Yes I've got a lot of volunteer experience, but I find employers can be a bit snobby about the volunteering for some reason but I think its the best way to get work experience nowadays.
hello
Admission can be made to any University of London without Eilers point
Original post by Carmen11
Yes I've got a lot of volunteer experience, but I find employers can be a bit snobby about the volunteering for some reason but I think its the best way to get work experience nowadays.

Do you have a decent CV and references?
Reply 10
Original post by Tonic Water
Do you have a decent CV and references?

yes
Reply 11
Hi every one, I have experience in support work but I would like to get some experience in another area such as retail or reception /admin has anybody got any tips of how to get these jobs because I am always rejected

Don’t bother doing voluntary work because no employer actually looks at ‘charity shop work’ as actual employment. Also it makes you look like a pushover (in my own experience)

Apply for jobs with many staff - for example big chain stores such as McDonald’s/primark/Poundland’s as they’re always hiring regardless of previous experience.

If you
live near a theme park such as Legoland, Thorpe park, chessington, Alton towers etc, APPLY as a food and bev or retail worker as theme parks rarely decline any one as they need a large amount of staff.
Reply 12
Original post by Kaz2001
Don’t bother doing voluntary work because no employer actually looks at ‘charity shop work’ as actual employment. Also it makes you look like a pushover (in my own experience)

Apply for jobs with many staff - for example big chain stores such as McDonald’s/primark/Poundland’s as they’re always hiring regardless of previous experience.

If you
live near a theme park such as Legoland, Thorpe park, chessington, Alton towers etc, APPLY as a food and bev or retail worker as theme parks rarely decline any one as they need a large amount of staff.

Thanks thats good advice, employers never looked impressed with volunteering work. Which is always advised they should be, getting experience whilst working for free
Reply 13
Thanks thats good advice, employers never looked impressed with volunteering work. Which is always advised they should be, getting experience whilst working for free

No worries, that’s just based off on my experience. They’ve always disregarded voluntary work whenever I’ve mentioned it in my CV or interview (if it got to that stage) also in future defence in getting the job, they’ll try and pay less or keep you longer hours because they know you would do it out of the kindness of your heart lmao

I've experienced the opposite.

Quick Reply

Latest