Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi! I want to know about how many males to females there are in compsci courses? is it friendly? are the boys accepting of girls? i would just like to know more about course life in terms of friends, etc. pls help i am going to uni next year!!
Dalpx
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi
Are you a girl?
In IT, there are much more boys than girls. But boys treat girl classmates very well(like princess)
Although there are fewer girls major in IT, but they usually study well(because most girls major in IT are interested in it)
To be honest, are you really interested in IT? Which university will you apply?
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Dalpx)
Hi
Are you a girl?
In IT, there are much more boys than girls. But boys treat girl classmates very well(like princess)
Although there are fewer girls major in IT, but they usually study well(because most girls major in IT are interested in it)
To be honest, are you really interested in IT? Which university will you apply?
yes i am, i know in general there are way more boys than girls in compsci but i am really nervous. i am for sure interested and i've gotten into exeter, nottingham, surrey and brunel
winterscoming
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It's fairly typical for Computer Science courses to be very male-dominated, but even if only 10% of the other students on your course are female, they'll all be feeling just as nervous about it as you are - you'll probably be able to make friends with some of them quite early on just having that in common, you'll probably also meet other people at the same uni who are studying different courses, especially if you live in Halls for the first year.

Otherwise, people tend to be a lot more mature at university than you might be used to from 6th form, which tends to mean people just have a lot more respect for each other, and less "cliquey" tribalism, etc. Everyone there will be 18 or over (the mature students will be well into their 20s-30s or older), most people making a fresh new start in a new/unfamiliar city - a lot of them figuring out how to live independently, away from friends and wanting to meet new people, etc. Nearly everyone starting uni has some reason or other to feel nervous or anxious, but that nearly always just disappears once you actually get there

The most important thing is to choose a subject to study that you're interested in - by far the most difficult part of university is keeping yourself motivated to study for a whole 3 years in an environment where lecturers expect you to do most of your learning in your own time, so it's really important that you enjoy the course and it's something you want to do; while it's important to think about your lifestyle, wellbeing and social aspects, keep in mind the reasons for going to university in the first place!
jduxie4414
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
yes i am, i know in general there are way more boys than girls in compsci but i am really nervous. i am for sure interested and i've gotten into exeter, nottingham, surrey and brunel
What did you put in your ps?
m098
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by jduxie4414)
What did you put in your ps?
it won't let me be anonymous but, why? i just put the regular stuff...
jduxie4414
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by m098)
Oh I was just wondering if there was anything I should do before I apply next year but don’t worry sorry haha. Hope you get in to the unis you want!
Dalpx
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by m098)
Are you the thread starter?
m098
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by jduxie4414)
Oh I was just wondering if there was anything I should do before I apply next year but don’t worry sorry haha. Hope you get in to the unis you want!
haha yah just start early with writing your ps!! it took so long and so many drafts for me!! good luck! i got into all the unis i applied for except one! thanks
Last edited by m098; 2 weeks ago
m098
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Dalpx)
Are you the thread starter?
yup
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 6 Dec '19
  • Bishop Grosseteste University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 6 Dec '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 6 Dec '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (41)
21.13%
Labour (93)
47.94%
Liberal Democrats (22)
11.34%
Green Party (15)
7.73%
Brexit Party (1)
0.52%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (3)
1.55%
SNP (5)
2.58%
Plaid Cymru (1)
0.52%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (3)
1.55%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (0)