Disappointed with my uni course??? Watch

brsa_301
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I've started my first year of uni studying biology but at the minute I'm not very impressed with the course, I'm finding the content quite boring and just like repeating a levels. The lectures seem to just read off their power point slides without adding any extra information (and sometimes they only last 30 mins, and practicals are timetabled for 3 hours which make them sound good but it only usually lasts 1 hour and we only have them twice a week. Is this normal for first year or does it get better, I'm beginning to think that I should be doing a different course????
BedfordMom
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Usually universities do start off by going over A’level material, so I can understand why you might find this boring but it’s done to refresh your memory and to make sure everyone is grounded in the basics before moving on to more challenging material.
However, is what you’re doing matching what was in the course content when you applied? Surely you must’ve thought it was interesting then? It sounds like the issue is not just the content but it’s delivery as well.
Are others finding the same thing on your course?
brsa_301
Rep:
?
(Original post by BedfordMom)
Usually universities do start off by going over A’level material, so I can understand why you might find this boring but it’s done to refresh your memory and to make sure everyone is grounded in the basics before moving on to more challenging material.
However, is what you’re doing matching what was in the course content when you applied? Surely you must’ve thought it was interesting then? It sounds like the issue is not just the content but it’s delivery as well.
Are others finding the same thing on your course?
At a levels I did think the topics were interesting so was looking forward to stepping them up a level at uni but repeating it is making me wonder why I am doing this course and whether I should be studying a course I havent dont before! Also at the minute I really dont think that I will be pursuing a career in biology anyway, it was just the subject I liked the most at a level and I wanted to get a degree, but now I feel like everybody on my course is doing it to become a researcher or academic writer etc which I definitely dont want to do, so I'm questioning whether my time would be spend doing something that I actually want a career in, I'm finding these topics things I cant use in the future!
Yes a lot of people are finding that the lecturers aren't very exciting so maybe its just that?! But should they not be the opposite of that, I'm beginning to wonder whether if I decide to stick with this course I should change uni for second and third year to get better teaching?
brsa_301
Rep:
?
(Original post by username5033574)
Hi brsa_301,

I am delighted to inform you if you decide to drop out of the university course I am able to offer you another successful route in life.
You have stated that you are only receiving 3 hours worth of work a week, I have calculated that you spend £60 each hour throughout the year based on only receiving 3 hours worth of work time.

Furthermore a different course sounds like a great idea, I studied biology however I was a failure at the subject at university level despite receiving 14 GCSE'S from A-A*,during my A levels on managing to get 4 AAAA grades within Maths,Further-maths,Physics,Biology.

Finally my personal assistant has recommended you complete the first year of university, on competition if things are still doubtful please get in contact as I can offer you a brighter future.

Thanks
SDK
Nope I get more than 3 hours of teaching a week! It's more like 15ish, but its annoying when their timetables for much longer than what your actually given! I'm not looking to drop out but maybe just changing course next year or moving to a different uni where.the course is better taught!
Anonymous #1
Report 3 weeks ago
Yeah that doesn't sound too good if I'm honest. The value for money is very poor at most universities from what I've noticed. You end up paying on average around £20 for an hour of a lecture/lab/whatever. You have to consider what the alternative is though (dropping out), as tbh I think you'll find it's similar at most unis. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
steamed-hams
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
ask for a refund then
Treetop321
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Do you mind answering what uni this is?
brsa_301
Rep:
?
(Original post by Treetop321)
Do you mind answering what uni this is?
Lancaster?????
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• De Montfort University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 7 Dec '19
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Undergraduate Undergraduate
    Sat, 7 Dec '19
  • Regent's University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 7 Dec '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (68)
19.37%
Labour (170)
48.43%
Liberal Democrats (49)
13.96%
Green Party (21)
5.98%
Brexit Party (4)
1.14%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (3)
0.85%
SNP (8)
2.28%
Plaid Cymru (3)
0.85%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (5)
1.42%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (2)