The Student Room Group

GCSE D&T do people even bother there?

Hi everyone,
I’m just curious whether people still pick D&T and if they do, do they actually try in it?
So when I got my results in August I was mostly happy/surprised by the grades that I achieved (I never thought I could get such high grades), except for D&T graphics design in which I got a 2. I was not surprised as my coursework was absolutely **** and I skipped 3/4 of the questions on the exam.
So do people actually still pick it? I wasn’t the only one as everyone who I asked in my class and other d&t subjects got nothing higher than 2/3/4 (only 2 people I asked actually passed it).
I chose DT and it was my favourite subject. I got an A* in all my coursework and an A in my exam, however, everybody in my class (bar two people I sat with) chose the subject as an easy GCSE and all received U grades. They didn’t try, they just pissed the teacher off and called me a nerd - which is a total compliment if you’re me lol.

I used this GCSE to do graphic design at college, so I guess only a few pick it for an actual academic purpose, it seems everyone else wants to slack!
Reply 2
I'm in year 11 and there are around 20 people taking D&T, now the thing is we had no idea what was involved in the GCSE because the teachers forgot to mention that the theory in D&T made up most of the course. So now there are around 20 people grumpily on their computers typing up their NEA. Personally, I'm impeccably behind. In fact, i'm probably the best example of what not to do in GCSE D&T. So I don't think my experience really sums up the entirety on England. Though I can confirm that (in my school anyway) it is indeed becoming less and less popular.
Original post by Griffby
I'm in year 11 and there are around 20 people taking D&T, now the thing is we had no idea what was involved in the GCSE because the teachers forgot to mention that the theory in D&T made up most of the course. So now there are around 20 people grumpily on their computers typing up their NEA. Personally, I'm impeccably behind. In fact, i'm probably the best example of what not to do in GCSE D&T. So I don't think my experience really sums up the entirety on England. Though I can confirm that (in my school anyway) it is indeed becoming less and less popular.

My school's case is identical. We all expected it to be the 'fun and easy' GCSE and know I can't even think about how much theory I still have left and my teacher is making up her own closing deadline for sections of our coursework. And now I'm really behind. What section are you on?
Reply 4
Original post by wwwhhhhhhhhyyy
My school's case is identical. We all expected it to be the 'fun and easy' GCSE and know I can't even think about how much theory I still have left and my teacher is making up her own closing deadline for sections of our coursework. And now I'm really behind. What section are you on?

I'm afraid I don't know, I'm doing my NEA and currently working on my specification for my product (which is very behind what we should be doing), if that is what you mean. It's good to hear my class aren't the only ones. I've been really pressured to get the whole thing done, how about you? What bit are you up to?
It was my favourite subject, and still is, as I’m doing it for a level. I got an 8 overall (9 in coursework, 7 in exam) which was my highest and I’m really proud of. It depends on your class and what you do really. My class was really chill and we had loads of fun. We also did some interesting projects. Definitely my best choice for GCSE options
Original post by Griffby
I'm afraid I don't know, I'm doing my NEA and currently working on my specification for my product (which is very behind what we should be doing), if that is what you mean. It's good to hear my class aren't the only ones. I've been really pressured to get the whole thing done, how about you? What bit are you up to?

I've just started modelling and drawing out potential products, which I have found to be the hardest part. I never was that stressed out about DT until my teacher started to tell us how behind we were with course work and setting her own impossible deadlines. I'm literally working on my NEA right now.
Reply 7
I've just started modelling and drawing out potential products, which I have found to be the hardest part. I never was that stressed out about DT until my teacher started to tell us how behind we were with course work and setting her own impossible deadlines. I'm literally working on my NEA right now.

My teacher says we're behind 5 WEEKS. And I'm supposed to have drawn up all of my design ideas by tmr - let's just say that I haven't started yet! My teacher also says that we would have to do 3-4 hours of work outside of class in order to catch up. I don't think I have the time or even the motivation to do that. It's just utterly ridiculous, and more stress that I anticipated.
Original post by Griffby
My teacher says we're behind 5 WEEKS. And I'm supposed to have drawn up all of my design ideas by tmr - let's just say that I haven't started yet! My teacher also says that we would have to do 3-4 hours of work outside of class in order to catch up. I don't think I have the time or even the motivation to do that. It's just utterly ridiculous, and more stress that I anticipated.

I know DT (and spanish) is going to be the worst grade by far on results day. I have literally no hope of a social life because I m spending every second on DT right now. I just hope I'll have time for other subjects too with my mocks coming up.
Reply 9
I know DT (and spanish) is going to be the worst grade by far on results day. I have literally no hope of a social life because I m spending every second on DT right now. I just hope I'll have time for other subjects too with my mocks coming up.

This is honestly the exact same with me, but instead of Spanish I've got German. Taking a language was by far one of my worse decisions I've made along with DT. I find history pretty tricky as well so I'm done for. What other subjects did you take?
Original post by Griffby
This is honestly the exact same with me, but instead of Spanish I've got German. Taking a language was by far one of my worse decisions I've made along with DT. I find history pretty tricky as well so I'm done for. What other subjects did you take?

I do DT, Spanish and geography. I already did RE in year 10 because it was compulsory at my school. I was going to pick history but with a last minute decision I ended up picking geography. I find it pretty easy so I'm aiming kinda high. For spanish its honestly that I just don't give my self enough time to memorize everything and find it boring.
I do DT, Spanish and geography. I already did RE in year 10 because it was compulsory at my school. I was going to pick history but with a last minute decision I ended up picking geography. I find it pretty easy so I'm aiming kinda high. For spanish its honestly that I just don't give my self enough time to memorize everything and find it boring.

How are your core subjects though? I guess those mater the most in the end.
Reply 12
wow just by reading these comments has made me feel better! I though my class was far behind but it seems we're all about equal. I'm in a class of 9 as hardly anyone takes DT as my school. We got a new teacher this year, i'm in year 11, and have only just started actually learning the theory as well as struggling with the NEA. I absolutely hate how much work I have to put in and then only get a 6, its so disappointing. What topic from the NEA did everyone choose?
Reply 13
Original post by Mike1091
Hi everyone,
I’m just curious whether people still pick D&T and if they do, do they actually try in it?
So when I got my results in August I was mostly happy/surprised by the grades that I achieved (I never thought I could get such high grades), except for D&T graphics design in which I got a 2. I was not surprised as my coursework was absolutely **** and I skipped 3/4 of the questions on the exam.
So do people actually still pick it? I wasn’t the only one as everyone who I asked in my class and other d&t subjects got nothing higher than 2/3/4 (only 2 people I asked actually passed it).

I DID pick it, but my school had a change of course so I was moved to just general DT, specializing in plastic and papers. honestly, I'm grateful because I find that what I did (working with metals, plastics, machinery, etc) was way more fun than doing photoshop and paper cutting. And yes I did try. because I found it so fun, it was the best thing I ever did get 100% on the course work ascending above GCSE standard into A level standard. I don't mean to bost, but it is my way of showing just how much I loved it and considered it worthwhile. unless of course you only meant graphics, in which case I hated it and when I picked it for A levels my first thoughts were " yep this sucks".
People most definitely still pick it and try in it :tongue: the whole DT forum on here proves as much.
I took GCSE DT and completed that in 2015, achieved A* in it, did AS DT in 2016 achieved A in that and did A2 DT in 2017 and achieved an A in that as well.
Am now studying degree level product design and am in my final year, i will graduate in 2020.
I took IGCSE DT and received the result in 2018, achieved A* and 100% in coursework. I was just 2 marks off from the world best.
Currently, I'm taking IB DT.
I know some ppl still think that DT isn't vocational, well if you want to major in engineering, material sciences..etc, DT helps you A LOT.
Be diligent and follow the guidance, that will boost your grade up.
My school, everyone passed and achieved higher than B.
Original post by Keith Ape
I took IGCSE DT and received the result in 2018, achieved A* and 100% in coursework. I was just 2 marks off from the world best.
Currently, I'm taking IB DT.
I know some ppl still think that DT isn't vocational, well if you want to major in engineering, material sciences..etc, DT helps you A LOT.
Be diligent and follow the guidance, that will boost your grade up.
My school, everyone passed and achieved higher than B.

Well said :smile: good luck with your IB
Original post by CoolCavy
Well said :smile: good luck with your IB

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest