This discussion is closed.
Hippokrates
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm starting to fill in my application form and have a few questions.

In terms of scoring myself sometimes there is some discrepancy on which score, should you score yourself higher or lower?

Also the free text boxes. How much do they matter?
What should you write in COMMITMENT TO SPECIALTY? and ACHIEVEMENTS OUTSIDE MEDICINE?

For example can your achievements outside of medicine just be your hobbies/ sports etc or do they need to be impressive?
Last edited by Hippokrates; 1 year ago
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Hippokrates)
...In terms of scoring myself sometimes there is some discrepancy on which score, should you score yourself higher or lower?
I would score lower, then any higher score would be a bonus. You can always email the IMT recruitment people and ask them to clarify.

Remember that application score only forms around 1/4 of the final score, around 3/4 of the total score comes from interviews.

And finally, IMT is so notoriously uncompetitive that unless you are applying to the London Deanery it is unlikely that any real competition happens!

...What should you write in COMMITMENT TO SPECIALTY? and ACHIEVEMENTS OUTSIDE MEDICINE?
Just how much medicine (as in internal medicine) work you have done e.g. elective in Cardiology, tasters week in Gastroenterology etc.

Achievements outside Medicine is not compulsory either, just for example you won a Gold medal at the Olympics or something.

For example can your achievements outside of medicine just be your hobbies/ sports etc or do they need to be impressive?
No need to be impressive, they are optional.
Hippokrates
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)

And finally, IMT is so notoriously uncompetitive that unless you are applying to the London Deanery it is unlikely that any real competition happens!
Thanks for your response!

It will be competitive now that IMGs can apply in round one.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thanks for your response!

It will be competitive now that IMGs can apply in round one.
It shouldn't be that bad.

The number of FY2s entering specialty training has declined year on year, and the trend is unlikely to change - last year less than 40% went into CT1 / ST1.
Hippokrates
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
It shouldn't be that bad.

The number of FY2s entering specialty training has declined year on year, and the trend is unlikely to change - last year less than 40% went into CT1 / ST1.
Yes but I'm not talking about FY2s. IMT always gets filled in round two by international doctors and now those doctors are able to apply in round one I will be competing against people with a lot more years under their belt.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes but I'm not talking about FY2s. IMT always gets filled in round two by international doctors and now those doctors are able to apply in round one I will be competing against people with a lot more years under their belt.
Don't worry, you just don't know how many IMGs who don't get in. Don't underestimate yourself.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
People who don't know the system, will have a massive cultural disadvantage when it comes to interview questions, and will most often be applying in their second language.

Put the effort in sure, but you don't have anything to worry about.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 year ago
This is sort of my biggest fear as well, knowing that they have extra years to prepare and apply for IMT (e.g finish MRCP, publish more papers, done extra degrees)

I once asked one of the doctors from the interview panel during a careers evening whether they judge you according to how many years you had in training and he just said, ultimately it comes down to what you have achieved. He did reassure me that I'll likely get job due to its lack of competition but again, as above, IMG can apply for round 1 now and Im just worried Ill be pushed down the ranking quite a bit (due to my rather bare achievements). And then get no jobs as a worst case scenario.

I know its easier to just focus on my own application and do my best but the the thought of it just demotivates me. fingers crossed.
Hippokrates
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous)
This is sort of my biggest fear as well, knowing that they have extra years to prepare and apply for IMT (e.g finish MRCP, publish more papers, done extra degrees)

I once asked one of the doctors from the interview panel during a careers evening whether they judge you according to how many years you had in training and he just said, ultimately it comes down to what you have achieved. He did reassure me that I'll likely get job due to its lack of competition but again, as above, IMG can apply for round 1 now and Im just worried Ill be pushed down the ranking quite a bit (due to my rather bare achievements). And then get no jobs as a worst case scenario.

I know its easier to just focus on my own application and do my best but the the thought of it just demotivates me. fingers crossed.
Yes it's definitely uncharted territory. What sort of things are you putting in the supporting free text boxes?
Anonymous #1
Report 1 year ago
Yes it's definitely uncharted territory. What sort of things are you putting in the supporting free text boxes?
Just writing down and explaining my evidence and how I achieved the relevant points.
On places I didn't score, I just explain what sorts of things I've did that was relevant.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (113)
28.11%
No - I have already returned home (52)
12.94%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (80)
19.9%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (39)
9.7%
No - I live at home during term anyway (118)
29.35%

Watched Threads