Uni students: do sports society initiations(like heavy drinking) put you off joining? Watch

Poll: People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?
Yes (157)
66.53%
No (79)
33.47%
Puddles the Monkey
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Does this happen at your uni...? What do you think about them?

Have you experienced anything like this with any societies you've joined?

Is there sport that you played before universitiy that you really wanted to continue at uni but felt like you couldn't because of these 'initiation rights'?
Last edited by StrawberryDreams; 4 weeks ago
Sataris
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Some sports definitely go a lot harder in this than others. I was pleased to find that the sports I wanted to join had no such initiations
barror1
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Personally I don't mind initiation if it involves "lighter" activities such as drinking, but one of my flatmates just had his part of his head shaved as a rugby initiation :shock:
It really depends on how far a society is willing to go.
Gilmore Girl
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Sataris)
Some sports definitely go a lot harder in this than others. I was pleased to find that the sports I wanted to join had no such initiations
Hey! That's good to know. What sports clubs did you join? Seems like it's the rugby clubs that are most likely to go all out :zomg:

Did you find that?
Unilondon
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Where are you going to uni? I'm a part of a sports team at my uni and we didn't have any kind of initiation. I think these kind of events are really wrong as it should be about the participation.
boods8897
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I started up a new sport at undergrad and had no initiations, continuing with it at a different uni for my postgrad and none there either. The closest they had was the typical 'olds come as grandparents, freshers come as babies' social. It is a club which goes out a lot, and on weekends trips there will be a lot of drinking but there's no pressure to join in - I probably go to about 3 socials a year and that's fine.
My friend played football and they had an initiation but again, I think if someone hadn't wanted to take part then they wouldn't have been made to do so.
Gilmore Girl
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It definitely feels very dependant on the sport, and maybe the University, and it's location too...? I graduated over 10 years ago and it definitely wasn't a big thing then. It was just something you heard of happening in American colleges!
Charlotte's Web
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
At my uni initiations were banned and societies could be struck off if they advertised welcome events which were solely related to drinking or used the term 'initiation' at all. Of course the societies still did this and found ways around all of the rules. Most of the sports team social secretaries worked for local clubs so would often get deals and benefits if they could bring their social there.

I have spoilered a gross initiation example for your reading pleasure.

Spoiler:
Show
My favourite story was a boys sports team which would initiate members by making them clench a long strip of toilet paper between their bottom cheeks which was then set alight. It would only be extinguished if they could down their drink (usually a bottle of wine/port/similar) before the flames reached their bottom.

I swear to god this is true and I have (unfortunately) seen video evidence.
DoritoEvie
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
My SO used to play rugby. He decided to not join the rugby society here after they make you go to all the clubs in speedos and drink until you can't anymore.
iBearHQ
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Sad to see that rugby seems to be the worst offender, was looking forward to it at uni
laurawatt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by iBearHQ)
Sad to see that rugby seems to be the worst offender, was looking forward to it at uni
Will totally just depend on which uni you go to
Obolinda
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I thought this was an American thing :eek:
Toki the Dumdum
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Gilmore Girl)
It definitely feels very dependant on the sport, and maybe the University, and it's location too...? I graduated over 10 years ago and it definitely wasn't a big thing then. It was just something you heard of happening in American colleges!
I was at university ten years ago and these initiations were a big thing then, at least at the university I was at.

(Original post by iBearHQ)
Rugby is up there with the worst of sports (in terms of savage socials). Give it a go. If the initiations and socials are too silly for you then you could always try a local club? Culture might well be better at one of those.
Grim_Squeaker
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
Does this happen at your uni...? What do you think about them?

Have you experienced anything like this with any societies you've joined?

Is there sport that you played before universitiy that you really wanted to continue at uni but felt like you couldn't because of these 'initiation rights'?
Been about 12 years since my Freshers but I remember Exeter's Sports Societies being, on the whole, animals on nights out with the Mens Rugby bunch the worst and most out of control. I ended up joining more sedate societies as I wasn't very sporty but I did see a few of the 'Initiations' and they were pretty excessive given that not long previously a guy had died on a Uni night out.

That being said, none of it ever put me off joining any societies as for all the mayhem in some of them, there were some very decent people there too and if you stuck to your guns, say no and watch what you are doing/drinking, you usually were left alone.

Dunno about now. 12 years is a long time.
Grim_Squeaker
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Charlotte's Web)
At my uni initiations were banned and societies could be struck off if they advertised welcome events which were solely related to drinking or used the term 'initiation' at all. Of course the societies still did this and found ways around all of the rules. Most of the sports team social secretaries worked for local clubs so would often get deals and benefits if they could bring their social there.

I have spoilered a gross initiation example for your reading pleasure.

Spoiler:
Show
My favourite story was a boys sports team which would initiate members by making them clench a long strip of toilet paper between their bottom cheeks which was then set alight. It would only be extinguished if they could down their drink (usually a bottle of wine/port/similar) before the flames reached their bottom.

I swear to god this is true and I have (unfortunately) seen video evidence.
Your example, I have witnessed that but not in Uni. Twas known as "The Dance of the Flaming ****hole". Always an interesting experience carting someone to A&E after THAT went wrong. Though how it could possibly have gone right I'll never know.
Charlotte's Web
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Grim_Squeaker)
Your example, I have witnessed that but not in Uni. Twas known as "The Dance of the Flaming ****hole". Always an interesting experience carting someone to A&E after THAT went wrong. Though how it could possibly have gone right I'll never know.
I'm reassured that it's not only me who has witnessed this! Also glad to be able to put a name to it. Having done a stint in A&E as a trainee I can confirm a burnt bottom is one of the worse minor injuries.
DiddyDecAlt
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I won't name the university because it would be very damaging, but this was only 5 years ago.

The average sports social for the hockey team was drinking so much alcohol you threw up into a large bucket in the centre of the room and continuing to drink copious amounts of alcohol to the point some people were catatonic. There were a number of "punishments" relating to the bucket of chunder that I won't go into as with hindsight it is all rather unpleasant.

After the first social I called it quits.

I had heard far worse stories about what the rugby team got up to including but limited to, drinking urine (your own or others), sticking things up your bum, corporal punishment and general nudity. If anything it was incredibly homoerotic but also pretty disturbing. Obviously this also involved copious amounts of alcohol and reckless abandon for all kinds of safety.
Anonymous #1
Report 4 weeks ago
I went to one of the biggest London universities and was a member of one of the biggest sports teams and whilst initiations did exist, you weren't forced to do anything you didn't want to. The club actually get better and better at this as commitee members changed etc. There were of course people who got smashed, but it was their own choice and the club did make an effort to hold non-drinking based socials. Things are getting better in general in this respect. It depends on the university, the sport, and the commitee though.
Mirai609
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by DiddyDecAlt)
I won't name the university because it would be very damaging, but this was only 5 years ago.

The average sports social for the hockey team was drinking so much alcohol you threw up into a large bucket in the centre of the room and continuing to drink copious amounts of alcohol to the point some people were catatonic. There were a number of "punishments" relating to the bucket of chunder that I won't go into as with hindsight it is all rather unpleasant.

After the first social I called it quits.

I had heard far worse stories about what the rugby team got up to including but limited to, drinking urine (your own or others), sticking things up your bum, corporal punishment and general nudity. If anything it was incredibly homoerotic but also pretty disturbing. Obviously this also involved copious amounts of alcohol and reckless abandon for all kinds of safety.
That sounds absolutely horrible. I guess some sports societies like rugby or hockey are more likely to have events like these, rather than, for example, stuff like badminton or martial arts?
DiddyDecAlt
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Mirai609)
That sounds absolutely horrible. I guess some sports societies like rugby or hockey are more likely to have events like these, rather than, for example, stuff like badminton or martial arts?
We didn't have badminton or martial arts, pretty much only the more "traditional" sports. All the sports societies were like this including Netball and Women's Rugby but to a slightly lesser extent.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19
  • The University of Law
    Open Day – GDL and LPC - Chester campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 4 Jan '20
  • University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 6 Jan '20

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (414)
43.86%
No (98)
10.38%
I'm not old enough (432)
45.76%

Watched Threads