The Student Room Group

is common law at Glasgow competitive?

at the Glasgow open day they told me there are 40-50 places and around 800 applicants for common law, making it have a 6% acceptance rate...

I got an offer for common law a couple of weeks ago but honestly it seems too good to be true. is it actually competitive? the acceptance rate will influence whether or not I firm it ahaha

I'm not trying to flex- I'm genuinely confused because 6% is lower than Oxford (my first choice). I googled how many people they took last year and it was around 22%.. still low.

also someone told me today that they probably accepted me because I'm English so have to pay more?? is there any truth in this lol

thanks in advance xx
Acceptance rate isn’t offer rate.

Acceptance rates are much lower than offer rates because not everyone firms the university or even puts them as their insurance and there are people who miss their offers
Reply 2
Original post by dyingstudent101
Acceptance rate isn’t offer rate.

Acceptance rates are much lower than offer rates because not everyone firms the university or even puts them as their insurance and there are people who miss their offers

thanks for distinguishing xx so if they (apparently) have 800 applicants and 40/50 places does that mean a 6% offer rate or a 6% acceptance rate? hypothetically, that is, I really dk if the stats are legitimate
Original post by leilalj
thanks for distinguishing xx so if they (apparently) have 800 applicants and 40/50 places does that mean a 6% offer rate or a 6% acceptance rate? hypothetically, that is, I really dk if the stats are legitimate

I doubt they have 40/50 places, I assume that's just how many people are admitted on the law course. So, that would be the acceptance rate. Glasgow law is perfectly well-respected, but I wouldn't necessarily define it as extremely competitive.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
hahaha yeah I know it's confused, reading it back it's so obvious I'm stressed about it lol
I know I'll pay the same as other English (but more than Scottish and EU) students, but someone told me that means I'm more likely to get a place over applicants paying less. Thanks for clearing that up :smile:

That makes a lot more sense re the offer figures, hadn't really thought about people missing offers/not firming it etc.

aside from the stats, do u know if the course is actually good or respected? I know I shouldn't base my firms on whether they're competitive or not, but I'm a bit torn between Glasgow and Durham because I love Glasgow as a uni and the year abroad option etc, but Durham has a better rep and that could be useful for careers n stuff. I do like Durham as a uni too though.

thank u :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by dyingstudent101
I doubt they have 40/50 places, I assume that's just how many people are admitted on the law course. So, that would be the acceptance rate. Glasgow law is perfectly well-respected, but I wouldn't necessarily define it as extremely competitive.

got it, thank u! :smile: the admissions talk at the open day sort of made it look like it was really up there in terms of prestige lol (as they would ofc since they're trying to get applicants) so thanks so much for shedding some light on it xx
Reply 6
Great idea, I’ll have a look now. Thanks so much!
Reply 7
Original post by leilalj
at the Glasgow open day they told me there are 40-50 places and around 800 applicants for common law, making it have a 6% acceptance rate...

I got an offer for common law a couple of weeks ago but honestly it seems too good to be true. is it actually competitive? the acceptance rate will influence whether or not I firm it ahaha

I'm not trying to flex- I'm genuinely confused because 6% is lower than Oxford (my first choice). I googled how many people they took last year and it was around 22%.. still low.

also someone told me today that they probably accepted me because I'm English so have to pay more?? is there any truth in this lol

thanks in advance xx

Did they tell you the conditions already? I applied a couple of days ago, and i obviously sent it after doing my LNAT, but I'm pretty sure they'll be able to see the result. Did they tell you about LNAT at all? My situation is so confusing, I'm an EU student doing a Scottish course applying for Common Law at a Scottish uni, and wanting to practice in a common law jurisdiction afterwards 😅 iydm can i ask how long they took to respond after the application? ik too many questions but I'm just stressing since i really wanna do common law.
Original post by Daniyal Khan
Did they tell you the conditions already? I applied a couple of days ago, and i obviously sent it after doing my LNAT, but I'm pretty sure they'll be able to see the result. Did they tell you about LNAT at all? My situation is so confusing, I'm an EU student doing a Scottish course applying for Common Law at a Scottish uni, and wanting to practice in a common law jurisdiction afterwards 😅 iydm can i ask how long they took to respond after the application? ik too many questions but I'm just stressing since i really wanna do common law.

Hey! Did you get an offer eventually?
Original post by leilalj

thanks in advance xx

Glasgow law is now officially higher in the rankings than Oxford. Last year the application rate was 1300 for the same places!
Original post by leilalj

thanks in advance xx

Hi, I’m very sorry to bother but i hope you don’t mind if I ask some questions regarding your offer:frown: I actually got a conditional offer today from Glasgow for common law and the offer stated 'LNAT score that meets acceptable minimum score threshold, which will be determined after the UCAS Equal Consideration deadline on 31 January 2024' Does your offer say the same or does it not? I’m not sure what it means as I have already taken the LNAT- Does that mean my LNAT was fine and as long as I can get AAA, my place can be secured? Or does that mean Glasgow hasn't received my LNAT score yet, and they may recall my offer if my LNAT score was bad? thank you so much and I’m very sorry to bother you😭😭😭
Original post by leilalj

thanks in advance xx

oh my god I’m very sorry I don’t realise the thread is like 4 years ago until just now- I’m genuinely sorry to bother!!!
Reply 12
Original post by Rebecca1066
Glasgow law is now officially higher in the rankings than Oxford. Last year the application rate was 1300 for the same places!

Where did you get that stat from? I haven't seen that before and woild be very interested
Original post by Euphoria101

The latest law school rankings have just dropped, and its good news for Scottish universities.
[start]Four of the top 10 in this year’s Good University Guide hail from north of the border, with Glasgow securing the accolade of highest ranking Scottish law school in third spot. Cambridge took this year’s law school crown, ahead of UCL in second.[/start]
[start]The 2024 guide, compiled by the Times newspaper, scores unis on a range of criteria including teaching quality, student experience and entry standards. Legal Cheek has used the filter feature to focus on law courses only.[/start]
[start]Elsewhere on this year’s list, Oxford and KCL placed fourth and fifth, respectively, while Scottish uni Strathclyde scooped sixth spot.[/start]
Original post by leilalj
got it, thank u! :smile: the admissions talk at the open day sort of made it look like it was really up there in terms of prestige lol (as they would ofc since they're trying to get applicants) so thanks so much for shedding some light on it xx

The latest law school rankings have just dropped, and its good news for Scottish universities.
[start]Four of the top 10 in this year’s Good University Guide hail from north of the border, with Glasgow securing the accolade of highest ranking Scottish law school in third spot. Cambridge took this year’s law school crown, ahead of UCL in second.[/start]
[start]The 2024 guide, compiled by the Times newspaper, scores unis on a range of criteria including teaching quality, student experience and entry standards. Legal Cheek has used the filter feature to focus on law courses only.[/start]
[start]Elsewhere on this year’s list, Oxford and KCL placed fourth and fifth, respectively, while Scottish uni Strathclyde scooped sixth spot.[/start]
Original post by leilalj

thanks in advance xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending