Want to come off my Anti-Depressant but scared about the side effects? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I have had a really bad time with my mental health. Long story short I have this intense phobia which caused me to have really bad anxiety 24/7, and at least one panic attack a day. I went on Remeron/Mirtazapine as the doctor said it would help me gain weight and get over my eating disorder (i was 5'4 and 80 pounds). It made me gain 30 pounds, made me a zombie with no energy or motivation. ive been on it two years and my anxiety is so much better but my energy is still so low because of the drug, and my appetite is crazy - i actually have developed binge eating disorder which is making me depressed because of how fat i look.
i want to taper off this drug so bad but i really can't deal with the side effects. i am so scared of the nausea and panic attacks and i feel like i will have to drop out of uni due to the withdrawal effects..
the drug is making me so miserable but i feel like im stuck on it
DiddyDecAlt
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You need to talk to your GP if you want to come off it.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
As above, you should always discuss discontinuing any psychiatric medication with your prescribing physician. Certain types of anti-depressants can cause withdrawal-like symptoms when discontinued suddenly, and these can cause serious medical emergencies requiring hospitalization if not treated.

If you are discontinuing the medication your prescribing physician will plan a course of tapering the medication off over a period of time to ensure this does not happen. They will also want to monitor your health during this time and likely will want to see you once a month or perhaps more frequently to ensure things are going smoothly.

Do not under any circumstances attempt to discontinue any psychiatric medication while not under the supervision of a medical professional! If you need help discussing the matter, you should make an appointment with your GP (or your prescribing physician if not your GP) in the first instance. If you need to speak to someone urgently, phone 111 for further advice. You can also speak with the Samaritans if you require support through the process and want to talk about things, on 116 123 (free of charge, 24 hours a day year round).
Last edited by artful_lounger; 3 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (114)
19.42%
Labour (297)
50.6%
Liberal Democrats (76)
12.95%
Green Party (30)
5.11%
Brexit Party (7)
1.19%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (3)
0.51%
SNP (13)
2.21%
Plaid Cymru (3)
0.51%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (6)
1.02%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (3)