Jiiny
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi so I basically just wanted to see if there is any medicinal chemistry students on here? I want to know what the course is like in terms of how hard the content is, workload ect and what you can do with a medicinal chemistry degree after graduating.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
CheeseIsVeg is a single honours chemistry student, albeit at a university with some medicinal chemistry options (and a specific minor track degree in the area), and might be able to offer some advice (although I have no idea if they took any of the relevant options ).

I imagine generally speaking it will be about as difficult and as much workload as a single honours chemistry course. However the particular modules you study may be slightly different (you may only do two out of the three core chemistry areas of organic/physical/inorganic, almost certainly including organic chemistry), which may make things easier or harder depending on your inclinations and aptitudes. Your choice of options may be more tailored to areas relevant to medicinal chemistry. It's quite possible some of your courses will be take in a biological sciences department in e.g. physiology, biochemistry/molecular biology and/or pharmacology.

As far as graduate roles, probably (almost) anything a graduate chemistry student can do (possibly slightly less if you only do two out of the three core areas of organic/physical/inorganic), plus obviously work in the pharma industry could be very relevant for you. Royal Society of Chemistry might be able to advise more on employability of both chemists generally and medicinal chemistry grads in particular?
Last edited by artful_lounger; 3 weeks ago
CheeseIsVeg
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Jiiny)
Hi so I basically just wanted to see if there is any medicinal chemistry students on here? I want to know what the course is like in terms of how hard the content is, workload ect and what you can do with a medicinal chemistry degree after graduating.
Hey
as stated below am a 3rd year chemistry student at Southampton
there is a medicinal chemistry option here and it is core chemistry with options in medicinal science
I know a few people on it and they are enjoying it

you definitely have a lot of options depending on which part of chemistry you enjoy
so the medicinal part can come in super handy ie: If you want to do analytical chemistry on medicinal compounds
I would say that you may want to look into a placement or some experience during the summer or as part of your programme to boost prospects as there are companies that you may want to get experience from too
hope this helps
cheese
(Original post by artful_lounger)
CheeseIsVeg is a single honours chemistry student, albeit at a university with some medicinal chemistry options (and a specific minor track degree in the area), and might be able to offer some advice (although I have no idea if they took any of the relevant options ).

I imagine generally speaking it will be about as difficult and as much workload as a single honours chemistry course. However the particular modules you study may be slightly different (you may only do two out of the three core chemistry areas of organic/physical/inorganic, almost certainly including organic chemistry), which may make things easier or harder depending on your inclinations and aptitudes. Your choice of options may be more tailored to areas relevant to medicinal chemistry. It's quite possible some of your courses will be take in a biological sciences department in e.g. physiology, biochemistry/molecular biology and/or pharmacology.

As far as graduate roles, probably (almost) anything a graduate chemistry student can do (possibly slightly less if you only do two out of the three core areas of organic/physical/inorganic), plus obviously work in the pharma industry could be very relevant for you. Royal Society of Chemistry might be able to advise more on employability of both chemists generally and medicinal chemistry grads in particular?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Suffolk
    Undergraduate Open Day - Ipswich Main Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 9 Dec '19
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (151)
19.28%
Labour (396)
50.57%
Liberal Democrats (109)
13.92%
Green Party (41)
5.24%
Brexit Party (10)
1.28%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (4)
0.51%
SNP (14)
1.79%
Plaid Cymru (4)
0.51%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (6)
0.77%
SDLP (1)
0.13%
Ulster Unionist (4)