The Student Room Group

Investment banking background requirements

Hi, what are the general background requirements to land a job as an analyst at an investment bank? I’ve tried checking a few places but they’re not exactly clear

Is it predominantly Oxbridge or Russell Group? Also what type of graduates stand the best chance? Would an economics graduate have an advantage over a history/philosophy graduate etc? And does real world experience also play a significant part? E.g setting up your own successful business?
Original post by 232CEC
Hi, what are the general background requirements to land a job as an analyst at an investment bank? I’ve tried checking a few places but they’re not exactly clear

Is it predominantly Oxbridge or Russell Group? Also what type of graduates stand the best chance? Would an economics graduate have an advantage over a history/philosophy graduate etc? And does real world experience also play a significant part? E.g setting up your own successful business?

bump for interest.
Reply 2
Original post by Laurence863
bump for interest.

???
Original post by 232CEC
???

bump means keeping the thread alive and active. But it's dead now :/
Reply 4
Original post by Laurence863
bump means keeping the thread alive and active. But it's dead now :/

Yeah literally no responses. I’ll try posting the same thing in a similar enough area
Original post by 232CEC

Full proof guide:

Degree doesn’t matter, just go to a target uni - not necessarily oxbridge (lse, ucl Warwick, imperial all great). Many banks are actually targeting diversity in degrees nowadays, I feel like obscure ones make you stand out.

You don’t have to set up a business, just get some relevant experience and have strong academics, with interesting extracurriculars.

Learn your technicals, polish your competencies/story and get good at the online tests. If you can do all these, you’ll get into IBD

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending