The Student Room Group

Uni Grades Progression

I got a low 2:2 in first year and then progressed to a low 2:1 in second year. I'm in my final year and want to progress further to get a first class honours degree. I'll be happy enough to get a 2.1 over as my final degree classification. My second year is worth 30% of my degree classification and final year is worth 70%. If I do really well final year be based on 100%. Do uses think It's possible to achieve a first class honours as my final degree classification?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by 2018Tyrone
I got a low 2:2 in first year and then progressed to a low 2:1 in second year. I'm in my final year and want to progress further to get a first class honours degree. I'll be happy enough to get a 2.1 over as my final degree classification. My second year is worth 30% of my degree classification and final year is worth 70%. If I do really well final year be based on 100%. Do uses think It's possible to achieve a first class honours as my final degree classification?

Of course it is, if you work hard. You can work out what average you'd need to achieve in your third year to get a first but using a calculator like unigradecalc.com.
Absolutely! Just make sure you check the grading system for your university. Mine has 3 systems; 50/50 second and third year, the best 120 credits overall or all the credits from third year. Before any of this is calculated they automatically discount the worst 20 credits from year 2 and 3. I had a very low 2:1 in the second year but I managed to make up for it in third year so it is definitely possible with a lot of hard work.
Original post by 2018Tyrone

Ok, let's do a calculation:

You got a low 2.2 in year 2 (I will take the worse case and assume that means a 60% overall mark for year 2) and that mark carries a 30% weighting. Thus your weighted average for year 2 is

60/100*30 = 18%.

By my calculations you would need to be getting an average of 74% on all your year 3 modules:

74/100*70 = 51.8% which would give you an overall mark of 18 + 51.8 = 69.8 (rounded to 70%)

Honestly, if you have been getting between 58% and 62% in years 1 and 2 of your course, I don't think it would be possible for you to up your game by so much to be getting marks of 73/74%. Being realistic, it is possible to get marks in the 60s and come out with a 2.1.

Quick Reply

Latest