The Student Room Group

Should I work to get a first?

I'm in my final year and got 71.83 in my second year. Initially, this led me to want to get a first overall, but now I'm wondering if it's worth it.

I'm doing alright in my dissertation I'd say, although not sure what I'll come out with - I'd be happy with a 2.1. I've only had one assignment back so far, which was 75. However, I'm not enjoying or completely following all of my modules. This showed when I only got 4 hours sleep the other night because I was panicking over an essay. I've also got a lot of family stuff going on at the moment, so am somewhat stressed with that.

The thing is, when I started uni I'd always told myself a 2.1 was a good mark and something I should work towards. Having listened to other students, though, all I ever hear is them saying how a 2.1 is 'average'. This made me feel a bit rubbish initially, but then I thought they were just being a bit snobbish after speaking to some other students who were even happy with marks of 58%. I'm aiming for a bit higher, but if they're happy then I'm not going to tell them it's a bad mark because it's all relative to what we can do and what we've put in.

Anyway, what I'm trying to get to is that I'm not sure I should be pushing myself so much to attain a first this year. For me, a first doesn't make that much difference. I'm hoping to go into teaching, so a 2.1 is enough, and I'd be proud of a 2.1. I only need at least 55% to get a 2.1 overall, which means I can rest a bit this year and whilst not being complacent, not stress myself out too much over essays.

I thought I'd just come here to see if I was doing the right thing? I realise this place is full of people with great GCSE's, A Levels, and aiming for firsts, but just in case there are people out there who don't look down at a 2.1. I just don't think it's worth stressing myself out so much, especially since I'd never even think about it again because of the career path I'm taking. The only time I'd ever mention it is if somebody asked me, and the high would last a few seconds.

tl;dr - Is a first worth it if a 2.1 is perfectly attainable and all that's needed for a Secondary PGCE?
nearly ever workplace requires a 2.1, so having said that - as long as you achieve that, you're doing great! do what feels right to you, and you seem like you know what you want

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending