The Student Room Group

Wraps and good food

I was reading a thread where someone (@RealityCheck ?) implied wraps were unhealthy. Are they? Its quite difficult to prepare lunch in the morning when I need to get the bus to school and I understand processed chicken in the air fryer is not the best choice, so any other recommendations?

On a side note, is subway healthy? (Majorly veg, with chicken on a good day)
Original post by ThunderBeard
I was reading a thread where someone (@RealityCheck ?) implied wraps were unhealthy. Are they? Its quite difficult to prepare lunch in the morning when I need to get the bus to school and I understand processed chicken in the air fryer is not the best choice, so any other recommendations?

A subway usually has around 400 calories and that’s for a 6 inch, they are not the healthiest of things to eat on a regular basis.

What’s wrong with high fibre bread, rather than a wrap? When you mentioned having a wrap what was in it?

Yes, it was me :smile:

You can have a 'healthy' wrap - a wholewheat small wrap with maybe lean chicken and salad (a small amount of a low-fat dressing) is fine.

The problem comes with shop-bought wraps, like Subway. As @Hazzabear rightly says, these are very high in energy for what they are and often high in salt and fat.

There are much healthier choices. :smile:
Original post by Hazzabear
A subway usually has around 400 calories and that’s for a 6 inch, they are not the healthiest of things to eat on a regular basis.

What’s wrong with high fibre bread, rather than a wrap? When you mentioned having a wrap what was in it?

Ah, maybe I should avoid them.

I dont like typical sandwiches for some reason. I detest cheese, am not a fan of neither nutella or jam. Tuna is only good on the occasion, not regularly. Wrap: chicken fillet (long strip thing?), lettuce (my least favourite part, much rather prefer fruits but in a wrap,that would be an abomination!) and sweet chilli in a tortilla.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Reality Check
Yes, it was me :smile:

You can have a 'healthy' wrap - a wholewheat small wrap with maybe lean chicken and salad (a small amount of a low-fat dressing) is fine.

The problem comes with shop-bought wraps, like Subway. As @Hazzabear rightly says, these are very high in energy for what they are and often high in salt and fat.

There are much healthier choices. :smile:

Its definitely home made, just perhaps the processed meat is unhealthy.
Subway only for the long sandwiches, nothing else.

Could you give me an example that could be made for school? I generally dislike lettuce, broccoli avocado and all those other fancy veg that make up the online lists.

Thank ou!
Its definitely home made, just perhaps the processed meat is unhealthy.
Subway only for the long sandwiches, nothing else.

Could you give me an example that could be made for school? I generally dislike lettuce, broccoli avocado and all those other fancy veg that make up the online lists.

Thank ou!

For school, I'd choose a small wholewheat wrap and add some lean chicken (preferably without skin). If you don't like lettuce, but I get the impression that you quite like 'sweet' stuff, then how about red peppers, coarsely grated carrot - that sort of thing? It will need a bit of dressing to make it more appealing (and less dry) so look for something lower in fats, sugar and salt.

As you quite rightly say, processed meat should be consumed as infrequently as possible. I'd particularly avoid that cheap packaged 'ham' and 'chicken' - it's essentially mechanically recovered meat which means it's all the rubbish ground up in (essentially) a giant concrete mixer with binders like rusk and pork fat and 'reconstituted' into something which is supposed to resemble meat. Never buy anything with 'reformed' as part of its description.

Does that wrap idea sound OK? Did you say you didn't like tuna?
For school, I'd choose a small wholewheat wrap and add some lean chicken (preferably without skin). If you don't like lettuce, but I get the impression that you quite like 'sweet' stuff, then how about red peppers, coarsely grated carrot - that sort of thing? It will need a bit of dressing to make it more appealing (and less dry) so look for something lower in fats, sugar and salt.

As you quite rightly say, processed meat should be consumed as infrequently as possible. I'd particularly avoid that cheap packaged 'ham' and 'chicken' - it's essentially mechanically recovered meat which means it's all the rubbish ground up in (essentially) a giant concrete mixer with binders like rusk and pork fat and 'reconstituted' into something which is supposed to resemble meat. Never buy anything with 'reformed' as part of its description.

Does that wrap idea sound OK? Did you say you didn't like tuna?

Ok, when would I cook the chicken? The day before or on it?
Youve got my favourite vegetables! Do you mean sauces?
Fine, I will give up my breaded chicken strips. Nice piece of life advice, never understood what reformed was.
Sounds great, thanks. Yep, definitely not in wraps, but occasionally in a sandwich
Ok, when would I cook the chicken? The day before or on it?
Youve got my favourite vegetables! Do you mean sauces?
Fine, I will give up my breaded chicken strips. Nice piece of life advice, never understood what reformed was.
Sounds great, thanks. Yep, definitely not in wraps, but occasionally in a sandwich

Glad it helps :smile:

Yes, you could cook the chicken the night before and keep it in the fridge. If it's nice and fresh, and you chill it quickly after you've cooked it, it'll be fine for 3 days in the fridge, so you could cook a load and then use it on consecutive days.

Yes, sauces - dressings...same thing. I'd look for something which will go with the ingredients already in the wrap and something that will complement it. There's loads of healthy choices available now, so have a look in a supermarket next time you go into one to see what you fancy.

Don't feel you can never eat breaded chicken - it's fine once in a while. Anything is fine once in a while. Just try to have them very occasionally, rather than semi-regularly.

Happy to help with any other questions you might have. Just post back :smile:
Glad it helps :smile:

Yes, you could cook the chicken the night before and keep it in the fridge. If it's nice and fresh, and you chill it quickly after you've cooked it, it'll be fine for 3 days in the fridge, so you could cook a load and then use it on consecutive days.

Yes, sauces - dressings...same thing. I'd look for something which will go with the ingredients already in the wrap and something that will complement it. There's loads of healthy choices available now, so have a look in a supermarket next time you go into one to see what you fancy.

Don't feel you can never eat breaded chicken - it's fine once in a while. Anything is fine once in a while. Just try to have them very occasionally, rather than semi-regularly.

Happy to help with any other questions you might have. Just post back :smile:

Thank you!

I have eaten a combination with bacon bits and scrambled egg and tomatoes in the morning, but the best one I ever tasted and made so far was mincemeat in tomato sauce with kidney beans and cheese with an avocado dip.
Original post by Kallisto
I have eaten a combination with bacon bits and scrambled egg and tomatoes in the morning, but the best one I ever tasted and made so far was mincemeat in tomato sauce with kidney beans and cheese with an avocado dip.

Dont talk to me, fiend. Disastrous life choices

Quick Reply

Latest