Effectively take and learn typed lecture notes? Watch

jam1e
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I'm about 7 weeks into my biology degree now, and I have quickly found that handwriting the notes that I am taking is taking me way too long. I've fallen behind by now with weeks of lecture notes as I'm struggling to get them done alongside my workshops and reports. Typing my notes is so much easier for me, both for speed and being able to add more notes later on from a textbook, but I'm aware of the study showing how students retain information better when handwriting. Does anyone have any tips on how to efficiently take notes on a laptop while being sure to learn the information well?

Catherine1973
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
How are you getting behind? I take my notes by hand on the lecture slides during the lecture (which I watch via pc so can pause if it gets very wordy and technical and I need to write down every word) then add reading notes to them later on.
Maybe learn to write quicker?
jam1e
Rep:
?
(Original post by Catherine1973)
How are you getting behind? I take my notes by hand on the lecture slides during the lecture (which I watch via pc so can pause if it gets very wordy and technical and I need to write down every word) then add reading notes to them later on.
Maybe learn to write quicker?
That’s just how it is, my lectures are long, I have a lot of them, and I can’t keep up. So i’m asking for advice on how to study with typed notes more effectively
tazatziki
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I’m not at uni yet but I read somewhere to just voice record the lectures and I do it sometimes for my lessons (I’m in year 13) and then you can often listen to them back and catch up on stuff that way. I also know lots of uni’s publish the slides or a video of the actual lecture online so maybe ask your lecturer about that. If you are really struggling or falling behind just ask your teacher if they could slow down and explain to them you don’t quite have time to finish the notes- I’m sure they would understand or give you advice. If all else fails just take pictures of the slides xx
jam1e
Rep:
?
(Original post by tazatziki)
I’m not at uni yet but I read somewhere to just voice record the lectures and I do it sometimes for my lessons (I’m in year 13) and then you can often listen to them back and catch up on stuff that way. I also know lots of uni’s publish the slides or a video of the actual lecture online so maybe ask your lecturer about that. If you are really struggling or falling behind just ask your teacher if they could slow down and explain to them you don’t quite have time to finish the notes- I’m sure they would understand or give you advice. If all else fails just take pictures of the slides xx
I record all of my lectures, its the writing up the notes after the lecture which takes so much time, especially when I usually have around 3 30-60 slide lectures each day. My lecture hall has 170 people, there's no way any of the lecturers will slow down if anyone wanted them to
Uori32qu
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I am also a biology first year and decided take notes on OneNote and highlight anything confusing that I need to look at further. I don't know if this is effective but it's a lot more organised than having to deal with paper notes (as I remember from sixth form)
I feel like I'm doing way less work than you though. I only have at most two lectures a day, 4 days a week. Also are you having to write lab reports?
Catherine1973
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Any reason why you are writing your notes after the lecture and not during it? Assuming it’s a normal lecture and not a practical class.
jam1e
Rep:
?
(Original post by Uori32qu)
I am also a biology first year and decided take notes on OneNote and highlight anything confusing that I need to look at further. I don't know if this is effective but it's a lot more organised than having to deal with paper notes (as I remember from sixth form)
I feel like I'm doing way less work than you though. I only have at most two lectures a day, 4 days a week. Also are you having to write lab reports?
So you keep yours all digitally and do you feel like this works? I was hoping for a success story with digital notes hahah. No lab reports yet, but I'm on a field trip tomorrow where I have to write a report about the zoo I'm visiting. I also have assessed workshops given weekly that have to be submitted in 2 weeks and these are like statistics and calculations on excel, everything is so confusing and hard to keep up with so my notes have suffered
jam1e
Rep:
?
(Original post by Catherine1973)
Any reason why you are writing your notes after the lecture and not during it? Assuming it’s a normal lecture and not a practical class.
Because during my lecture I'm recording it on my audio app while adding in text on each slide as the lecturer is discussing it with information that they explain or important parts that isn't explained so well on the slide itself. Writing notes during lectures makes me pay attention less as I'm too busy trying to desperately scribble important parts
kkboyk
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If you already have typed notes from lecture, you can insert sticky notes and commentaries using pdf or word or powerpoint of any extra bits the lecturer has mentioned. Saves a lot more time.
jam1e
Rep:
?
(Original post by kkboyk)
If you already have typed notes from lecture, you can insert sticky notes and commentaries using pdf or word or powerpoint of any extra bits the lecturer has mentioned. Saves a lot more time.
I have powerpoints, not so much useful notes but they can easily have some info added into them.
kkboyk
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by jam1e)
I have powerpoints, not so much useful notes but they can easily have some info added into them.
You can paste all of it and rewrite it on words. It'll be simpler then.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance
    Musical Theatre Undergraduate
    Fri, 13 Dec '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19
  • The University of Law
    Open Day – GDL and LPC - Chester campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 4 Jan '20

Have you voted in today's general election?

Yes (134)
48.03%
No (37)
13.26%
I'm not old enough (108)
38.71%

Watched Threads