Ibuki.Missions
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
How can ATP release energy if the phosphate is broken off, if energy is used up when breaking bonds and released when making bonds?
Neurocandid
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Ibuki.Missions)
How can ATP release energy if the phosphate is broken off, if energy is used up when breaking bonds and released when making bonds?
Adenosine triphosphate (ATP) consists of an adenosine molecule bonded to three phophate groups in a row. In a process called cellular respiration, chemical energy in food is converted into chemical energy that the cell can use, and stores it in molecules of ATP. This occurs when a molecule of adenosine diphosphate (ADP) uses the energy released during cellular respiration to bond with a third phosphate group, becoming a molecule of ATP. So the energy from cellular respiration is stored in the bond between the 2nd and 3rd phosphate groups of ATP. When the cell needs energy to do work, ATP loses its 3rd phosphate group, releasing energy stored in the bond that the cell can use to do work. Now its back to being ADP and is ready to store the energy from respiration by bonding with a 3rd phosphate group

Hope this answers your question?
Uori32qu
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I had never actually thought about this before, but found it has to do with the water molecules forming more bonds with the Pi + ADP than when in the ATP form. There's a good answer here: https://chemistry.stackexchange.com/...energy-release
davidthomasjnr
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
This relates to the following equation: ATP --> ADP + Pi (is reversible)

Yes you are correct, breaking bonds is an endothermic process; energy has to be absorbed for bonds to be broken. However, the Pi group reacts with water to form orthophosphate and ADP gains a hydrogen (is reduced) during this process. So the net energy in the system is exothermic, as the net energy from the bonds formed in the system is higher than the energy used to break them. Moreover, it is kinetically favourable for ATP to be hydrolysed to ADP, as the highly negative, polar phosphate groups mean the molecule is relatively unstable. So it is a very rapid reaction that can release a lot of energy. Coupled with the mechanisms to regenerate ATP, this explains why ATP is a very useful molecule for cells.
TODTEMPLE01
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I've been taught that when the phosphate is broken off, there is increased resonance of the phosphate group double bond that releases energy and also there is repulsion between the negatively charged phosphates (one that is released and those on newly-formed ADP) that creates and releases energy
Last edited by TODTEMPLE01; 3 months ago
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Do a quick energy profile diagram on the reaction ATP - ADP +Pi and it will be clear.
BelleWest23
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by TODTEMPLE01)
I've been taught in lectures that when the phosphate is broken off, there is increased resonance of the phosphate group double bond that releases energy and also there is repulsion between the negatively charged phosphates (one that is released and those on newly-formed ADP) that creates and releases energy
The same as what my former tutor said.
davidthomasjnr
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by BelleWest23)
The same as what my former tutor said.
It's essentially like putting petrol on a fire
BelleWest23
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by davidthomasjnr)
It's essentially like putting petrol on a fire
exactly why he's now a 'former tutor'
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Tue, 3 Mar '20
  • University of Bradford
    Postgraduate Open day/Evening Postgraduate
    Tue, 3 Mar '20
  • Queen's University Belfast
    Postgraduate LIVE Masters & PhD Study Fair Postgraduate
    Wed, 4 Mar '20

Do you get study leave?