Compelling reasons - can I get a second postgraduate loan?

Watch
theperformer
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi I got the Masters loan from SFE for my september 2018 masters course but was hospitalized in May 2019 the day before my exam due to a flare up of crohn's disease.

I was diagnosed with crohn's as 8 year old in 2005 and it had been in remission for more than decade and not affected me in undergrad but left me unable to submit my assignments and sit exam.

I contacted my university to inform them of this in an extenuating circumstances extension claim. I got a transcript of evidence of my condition from the hospital and the medication I was given.

I was granted Ann extension but as my condition worsened I had no choice but to withdraw entirely from my masters. I cited these medical reasons in my withdrawal form as the reason.

Now I have been feeling better for many months, I want to study the LLM LPC in september 2020. Would I be able to obtain a second masters loan? I still have the hospital letters detailing my condition and symptoms/medication.
theperformer
Rep:
?
Bump.
Lynsey SFE
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by theperformer)
Hi I got the Masters loan from SFE for my september 2018 masters course but was hospitalized in May 2019 the day before my exam due to a flare up of crohn's disease.

I was diagnosed with crohn's as 8 year old in 2005 and it had been in remission for more than decade and not affected me in undergrad but left me unable to submit my assignments and sit exam.

I contacted my university to inform them of this in an extenuating circumstances extension claim. I got a transcript of evidence of my condition from the hospital and the medication I was given.

I was granted Ann extension but as my condition worsened I had no choice but to withdraw entirely from my masters. I cited these medical reasons in my withdrawal form as the reason.

Now I have been feeling better for many months, I want to study the LLM LPC in september 2020. Would I be able to obtain a second masters loan? I still have the hospital letters detailing my condition and symptoms/medication.
Hello,

I’m glad to hear you're feeling better 😊

If you’ve already received an instalment from a Postgraduate Loan (PGM) you’ll be ineligible for further funding without Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR).
You will need to apply using a paper PGM form and send CPR. - https://www.gov.uk/masters-loan/apply
We will require the CPR evidence to confirm the reasons you could not continue with your studies, when this was and it must be signed and dated, the following list can be considered for CPR:
• Medical evidence from a GP on headed paper
• Letter from University on headed paper
• Letter from Social Services on headed paper
• Letter from clergy or professional person on headed paper
• Death Certificate
• A Birth Certificate

Thanks, Lynsey.
theperformer
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lynsey SFE)
Hello,

I’m glad to hear you're feeling better 😊

If you’ve already received an instalment from a Postgraduate Loan (PGM) you’ll be ineligible for further funding without Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR).
You will need to apply using a paper PGM form and send CPR. - https://www.gov.uk/masters-loan/apply
We will require the CPR evidence to confirm the reasons you could not continue with your studies, when this was and it must be signed and dated, the following list can be considered for CPR:
• Medical evidence from a GP on headed paper
• Letter from University on headed paper
• Letter from Social Services on headed paper
• Letter from clergy or professional person on headed paper
• Death Certificate
• A Birth Certificate

Thanks, Lynsey.
So I send the form through post or email ?
Lynsey SFE
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
So I send the form through post or email ?
Hello,

The form and CPR evidence needs to be returned by post.
Postgraduate Loans (SFE)
Student Finance England
PO Box 210
Darlington
DL1 9HJ

Thanks, Lynsey.
theperformer
Rep:
?
Hello,

The form and CPR evidence needs to be returned by post.
Postgraduate Loans (SFE)
Student Finance England
PO Box 210
Darlington
DL1 9HJ

Thanks, Lynsey.
I'm not sure if I still have the hospital letters. I took pictures of the letters though and sent them as screenshots to my uni - could I print these off and use them ? Or would I have to ask the hospital to re print those documents ?
Lynsey SFE
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm not sure if I still have the hospital letters. I took pictures of the letters though and sent them as screenshots to my uni - could I print these off and use them ? Or would I have to ask the hospital to re print those documents ?
Hello,

The medical evidence needs to confirm the reasons you couldn’t continue with your studies, when this was and it must be signed and dated, so it I would suggest requesting the letters again, as we wouldn’t accept screen shots.

Thanks, Lynsey.
theperformer
Rep:
?
Hello,

The medical evidence needs to confirm the reasons you couldn’t continue with your studies, when this was and it must be signed and dated, so it I would suggest requesting the letters again, as we wouldn’t accept screen shots.

Thanks, Lynsey.
The letters are transcripts that confirm my hospitalization, symptoms and medication given to me then. I submitted this to the university at the time, who accepted it.
Lynsey SFE
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The letters are transcripts that confirm my hospitalization, symptoms and medication given to me then. I submitted this to the university at the time, who accepted it.
Hello,

We would like use the above described evidence as supporting; however it would'nt be accepted solely.

Thanks, Lynsey.
theperformer
Rep:
?
Hello,

We would like use the above described evidence as supporting; however it would'nt be accepted solely.

Thanks, Lynsey.
So I would also need a letter from the doctor confirming why I couldn't sit my exams, and also ask the university for one ?
Lynsey SFE
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
So I would also need a letter from the doctor confirming why I couldn't sit my exams, and also ask the university for one ?
Hello,

I would suggest sending as much evidence as possible, so it would be great if you could get a letter from your doctor and the university.

Thanks, Lynsey.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (81)
57.86%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (16)
11.43%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (18)
12.86%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (9)
6.43%
I haven't started researching yet (7)
5%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (9)
6.43%

Watched Threads