Predicted First Class Honours Rejected by UCL

Watch
StoryofYourLife
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Hello everyone. I am a final year uni student from Hong Kong and this is my first post. I was unfortunately informed that my application was unsuccessful today. I applied for MA English: Issues in Modern Culture about 4 days ago but I was disappointed that I did not receive even a conditional offer. I do believe I met the entry requirements of "A minimum of an upper second-class Bachelor's degree in a relevant discipline or a CGPA of 3.3/4.0" since I now have a CGPA of 3.548 and was awarded Dean's List in my second and third year. I also volunteered as an English teacher in summer and had internship experiences. I had already emailed the admission office asking for feedback but I was wondering if you could give me some advice on my unsuccessful application. I was quite desperate and I think I do need your help, thank you :'(
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by StoryofYourLife)
Hello everyone. I am a final year uni student from Hong Kong and this is my first post. I was unfortunately informed that my application was unsuccessful today. I applied for MA English: Issues in Modern Culture about 4 days ago but I was disappointed that I did not receive even a conditional offer. I do believe I met the entry requirements of "A minimum of an upper second-class Bachelor's degree in a relevant discipline or a CGPA of 3.3/4.0" since I now have a CGPA of 3.548 and was awarded Dean's List in my second and third year. I also volunteered as an English teacher in summer and had internship experiences. I had already emailed the admission office asking for feedback but I was wondering if you could give me some advice on my unsuccessful application. I was quite desperate and I think I do need your help, thank you :'(
Welcome to how competitive some courses are in the UK. I suspect it might have been the 'issues in Modern Culture' element, almost everyone will have volunteered as a tutor, were any of your internships with think tanks dealing with modern cultural organisations, change, policies etc?

Did you have to submit a research proposal? Sometimes that can miss the mark substantially.

The CGPA you mention, was it for HK degrees?

Is your undergrad subject relevant?

To be rejected in 4 days suggests it was something quite fundamental to your application. I'm afraid often a lot more than the right grade is required, but it's hard to guess.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (87)
14.01%
I'm not sure (29)
4.67%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (196)
31.56%
I have already dropped out (13)
2.09%
I'm not a current university student (296)
47.67%

Watched Threads