Daily question: You’re opinion on Gun ownership/control and the like Watch

ARealNowhereMan
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I come from London, England and now live in Singapore, Singapore, where we basically don’t allow guns. I know that they ... do things differently, in America. So, what’s you’re opinion?
Just my opinion
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'm glad we have strict gun laws. Having said that, in the words of the two Andies from Hot Fuzz, everybody is packing heat where I live. Shotguns.
Yet gun crime is unheard of around here.

I don't want a gun,but if I lived in America I would have one for home protection.
The odds on somebody breaking in here armed with a gun is tiny.
In America unfortunately it's not.
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Just my opinion)
I'm glad we have strict gun laws. Having said that, in the words of the two Andies from Hot Fuzz, everybody is packing heat where I live. Shotguns.
Yet gun crime is unheard of around here.

I don't want a gun,but if I lived in America I would have one for home protection.
The odds on somebody breaking in here armed with a gun is tiny.
In America unfortunately it's not.
What are the odds of being broken into on any particular day? Humans are hopeless at assessing perceived risk.

You're more likely to shoot yourself with your own gun than being killed in your own home by an armed robber in the US.

Same in UK. More likely to be stabbed if carrying a knife for "protection!"
JWatch
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ByEeek)
Same in UK. More likely to be stabbed if carrying a knife for "protection!"
What about batons? The cops carry them every day for protection and never hear much about them having their own batons taken and used against them.
Last edited by JWatch; 2 weeks ago
Leviathan1611
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I don't think us Brits need to be carrying guns. we're more likely to get stabbed than shot.

America on the other hand, has guns and should keep them, I think it'd be too much of a hassle to get rid of them all.
krogerhl
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
American here with mixed feelings on guns. Our legal right to guns were established before you could kill a roomful of people with one in under a minute. I think gun ownership should be a privilege, not a right. They should be harder to get and easy to lose if you prove you can't handle one properly and responsibly.
That being said, if I'm in a roomful of people with guns, I'd like to have something more than my wits to back me up.
Just my take on it.
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by JWatch)
What about batons? The cops carry them every day for protection and never hear much about them having their own batons taken and used against them.
Exactly. So batons are clearly a good thing. They help police do their job and in the wrong harms pose no significant threat to the wider community. Win win!
looloo2134
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ByEeek)
Exactly. So batons are clearly a good thing. They help police do their job and in the wrong harms pose no significant threat to the wider community. Win win!
Batons do get taken of police officers and used against them it just not on the news that offer
DiddyDecAlt
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
UK gun laws work perfectly well for the most part. There are a few oddities here and there but they are rarely an issue.

US gun laws are absolute insanity mode depending on the state.
For example;

Civilians can own .50cal Armour Piercing Incendiary Rounds
It is legal to own automatic weapons produced before 1986
Under Federal Law this is a pistol

Spoiler:
Show
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by looloo2134)
Batons do get taken of police officers and used against them it just not on the news that offer
Well quite. Police Officer gets bruise from baton is not quite in the same league as Police Officer shot to death with own gun is it?
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by DiddyDecAlt)
UK gun laws work perfectly well for the most part. There are a few oddities here and there but they are rarely an issue.
[/quote]
I've always found some of the fine print to be rather odd, especially what they count as a "firearm" under section 5 of the act. Last time i checked pepperspray, for example, should not and could not meet any reasonable persons definition of a firearm :lol:
abcthe123
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Quite a broad question.

I don't think that there's any simple answer to the gun situation in America. Bad people will always find ways to get their hands on guns/weapons. All you need to do is look as States like Illinois and Missouri, even more so look at Mexico. Getting rid of a guns in a country where half the population won't give them up and have a long history of preserving their right to do so doesn't have any realistic solution any time soon.

Guns in the UK are obviously a completely different story, and sure it's probably better that there are far less guns overall, but sometimes, I wonder what I'd do if my home was robbed, how can you realistically defend yourself and your family in this country from someone who could potentially cause severe harm with a knife or any other weapon? A few years ago my home was broken into and I would probably have been severely hurt if they decided to do it an hour later.
Neenaw weewoo
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by looloo2134)
We get quite a lot of training on not losing them, and other kit like tasers and incap spray usually have retention cords.

It does happen, but by the time it gets to that point, it's usually quite an extreme situation anyway.
Neenaw weewoo
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I've always found some of the fine print to be rather odd, especially what they count as a "firearm" under section 5 of the act. Last time i checked pepperspray, for example, should not and could not meet any reasonable persons definition of a firearm :lol:[/QUOTE]

It's banned under the same act, but it's not really a firearm. Like crossbows. It's a separate category of weapon banned by the same legislation.

So, when I catch somebody with a gun, they'll get locked up for unlawful possession of a firearm. When it's stay, I usually nick for ''possession of an item banned by the firearms act' or similar. Still jail though.
anosmianAcrimony
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Guns are machines for killing people.
DiddyDecAlt
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
Guns are machines for killing people.
And animals
AngryRedhead
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I quite like guns but I have no problem with the UK’s firearm laws except that pepper spray should not be counted as a firearm
anosmianAcrimony
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by DiddyDecAlt)
And animals
Yeahhh but how many people have they killed, and how many animals?
DiddyDecAlt
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
Yeahhh but how many people have they killed, and how many animals?
Far more animals than people. The average driven shoot kills about 300 birds in a day.
DiddyDecAlt
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Neenaw weewoo)
So, when I catch somebody with a gun, they'll get locked up for unlawful possession of a firearm. When it's stay, I usually nick for ''possession of an item banned by the firearms act' or similar. Still jail though.
But we don't have jail in the UK.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (87)
19.04%
Labour (224)
49.02%
Liberal Democrats (61)
13.35%
Green Party (28)
6.13%
Brexit Party (6)
1.31%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (3)
0.66%
SNP (10)
2.19%
Plaid Cymru (3)
0.66%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (6)
1.31%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (2)