Is this your first General Election? Watch

Poll: If this is your first time voting in an election, will Brexit be a big factor for you?
Yes (44)
78.57%
No (12)
21.43%
StrawberryDreams
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Were you too young to vote in the EU referendum, but are now able to vote in the upcoming election this December? We're working with a newspaper to find out what is important to young people like you who were unable to voice their opinions through voting back in 2016, and what's important to you now you can vote.

If so, what is the most important thing to you when considering who to vote for in this election? Is Brexit something you consider an important issue, or are other things like social care, tuition fees and climate change more likely to impact who you vote for?

Let us know below!
Last edited by StrawberryDreams; 4 weeks ago
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
No, am neutral about the whole brexit thing apart from the fact that if it's going to happen they should hurry up with it. I never got to vote in it as i was a few month shy of being 18. Have voted in a general election before so this will be my second.
Am more interested in the social and financial policies, people are getting so caught up in brexit they are forgetting the fact that the party will be in power for 4 years and all the other consequential changes that come with that
Last edited by CoolCavy; 4 weeks ago
Chronoscope
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
This is my first one yes :yep: have been doing a bit more research on parties and what they stand for but have been doing it since brexit anyway. Will also look at the manifestos to see what they say when they come out, and look at various news articles to collate research before I come to my decision.

I'm glad I didn't have to vote for the brexit one now though, because when people discuss politics they're always like 'DiD yOu VoTe FoR bReXiT" in a really judgt tone and when they find out i didnt vote they're like 🙄 until I tell them that I wasn't old enough :sigh:
Last edited by Chronoscope; 4 weeks ago
ScarletMacaw
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
2nd time voting! (my first was the EU vote a couple months or so ago). I and everyone I know (who is my age) wants a second referendum and Brexit to be stopped
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Haha, god no.
CatusStarbright
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yes, this is my first GE I can vote in! I'm still annoyed I am unable to vote in person.

I find this GE a complex one, as it's essentially going to be treated as a proxy referendum despite the fact the purpose of a GE is to choose who represents us in Parliament and who gets to run the country as the government. That's causing me problems with regards to who to vote for, as I have different opinions on the two things. Essentially I'd like to vote for X party with regards to Brexit and Y party with regards to running the country which leaves me with a conundrum.
Greywolftwo
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
No, I’m still too young, 17 years old, so annoying
Leviathan1611
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
yeah. I'm either not voting or I'm gonna pick a random party.
pon1de2replay3
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I live in a very conservative area so I'm going to use my vote tactically and vote Lib Dem so hopefully this time round there may not be a Tory majority. Would love a 2nd referendum and in general not a tory government
hannah200211
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I think the most important factor for who I will vote for is funding for the nhs. I receive mental health care through the NHS and have been very lucky to recieve the support I have. However I know a huge proportion of people either are turned away from services or not given suitable and timely help. I think the party that offers the best but also achievable plans for the nhs is who I will vote for and hope others will do the same. The second most important issue that needs to be tackled is saving the environment. I think whoever comes into power should focus on finding more green ways of living. As there is no point promising any other changes to the country if it isn't sustainable and damages the earth even more. The party need to promise that they will start work on making the country more environmentally friendly immediately.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It is not my first election. Although I want a second referendum, action to stop the climate emergency and to fund more for the NHS is more important for me.
nintysixthousand
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
This is my first general election. I think brexit is important obviously but theres so much misinformation spread around about it so I dont feel like I could ever make my mind up. I think the vote to leave in 2016 should be respected as a democratic decision. Im going to vote for the party I would have always voted for despite the brexit stuff, because these people are going to be in power for a long time, not just for brexit.
nintysixthousand
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ScarletMacaw)
2nd time voting! (my first was the EU vote a couple months or so ago). I and everyone I know (who is my age) wants a second referendum and Brexit to be stopped
well i dont.
TheMiasma
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I am a first time voter and Brexit will be a big factor for me. I will vote Conservative because even though I live in a safe Con seat, there's always a risk of the Illiberal Undemocrats making a resurgence.
I want Brexit to happen because if it doesn't, what was the point of the referendum? It would just show how corrupt the government is

I'm not bothered with climate change; and while tuition fees are part of my life I've accepted that and I'm not going to vote Labour just because of their attempt at capturing the student vote. I'm not so selfish as to vote only for my own benefit but for the country as a whole.
Jackudy3
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Strong and stable.
Sinnoh
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yop. Election is just barely during term time but I'm not far from home so it's easy for me to just go and vote in my home constituency.
ساره
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yeah first time voting
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm 29 and I've never voted, won't be voting in this election either. Whoever's in charge and whatever they plan to do, they'll find a way to f*** it up anyway. It's basically voting for who's the least c***ish out of a group of massive c***s.
Lucasreid98
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
This will be my first general election. Brexit for me is a big element of my vote. I believe in and respect the democratic process so every single party who are attempting to prevent it are simply out of the running for me. The very fact that we are voting in this general election is because we have democracy yet so many people are willingly supporting parties who actively oppose it. Why should anyone believe that the results of this very election will be respected. I don't understand the complaints surrounding tuition fees. We have a very generous system. You don't have to pay a single penny back until you earn more than 25k and after 30 years the debt is wiped. However I don't believe the degree is worth the price. The more people with a degree the less value degrees hold. A degree seemingly appears to be an advantage but when everyone has one that advantage is lost.
username5010160
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by CatusStarbright)
Yes, this is my first GE I can vote in! I'm still annoyed I am unable to vote in person.

I find this GE a complex one, as it's essentially going to be treated as a proxy referendum despite the fact the purpose of a GE is to choose who represents us in Parliament and who gets to run the country as the government. That's causing me problems with regards to who to vote for, as I have different opinions on the two things. Essentially I'd like to vote for X party with regards to Brexit and Y party with regards to running the country which leaves me with a conundrum.
Vote for the party that isn't feeding billionaires more money and tax evading. Vote for the lesser evil. Vote in your interests. Brexit is just a guise for more corruption, it's a brand name to stir away focus on that. Don't get sidetracked.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (416)
43.97%
No (98)
10.36%
I'm not old enough (432)
45.67%

Watched Threads