Sheffield Hallam University (SHU) 2020 applicants chat thread and FAQ

Watch this thread
Browni3
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
Hey!
I've applied for Esports at Sheffield Hallam
I've also applied to:
Bath Spa
Uni of Hertfordshire
Staffordshire
Aberystwyth
I'm now just waiting for a reply to my application and I'm super nervous about starting uni but also super excited because it's about time I get some change in my life.

I am a little anxious about getting a reply, when do offers start coming through again? When school starts or a little later?
Sheffield Hallam University
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Browni3)
Hey!
I've also applied to:
Bath Spa
Uni of Hertfordshire
Staffordshire
Aberystwyth
I'm now just waiting for a reply to my application and I'm super nervous about starting uni but also super excited because it's about time I get some change in my life.

I am a little anxious about getting a reply, when do offers start coming through again? When school starts or a little later?
Hello Browni3
I'm so glad to hear that you have applied to Sheffield Hallam to study esports.
Its completely normal to feel nervous about going to university, as it can be a big change, however, once you start your studies and are settled in i am sure that you will have a great time!

Our admissions staff will be continuing to look all the applications which are being submitted, however, they have a lot of applications to look through during this time of year so do not worry if you have not yet heard from them.

Please let me know if you have any further questions about your course or student life at Sheffield Hallam.

Thank you
Rachel
gothicdreamer20
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
I applied for MSc Child Nurisng and completed my RPL on the 27th of November. The submission date was the 6th of December, and we were told 15 working days after submitting for a reply.
I have heard nothing, and as the course starts in March i feel there is not enough time to hand my notice in at work, as well as fitting all the pre course requirements in.
Is there a specific date that replies will be sent by? As i need to give my employer 4 weeks notice minimum.
Thank you
Rachel
Staffordshire University
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
sta

(Original post by Browni3)
Hey!
I've also applied to:
Bath Spa
Uni of Hertfordshire
Staffordshire
Aberystwyth

Hi Browni3

Just a quick one to say we're super excited to hear you've applied for Esports at Staffs! Please give me a shout if you have any queries or if we can help at all

Thanks

Amy
Josh burroughs
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Hi, I also applied to Sheffield Hallam to do the new professional policing course, just waiting for a reply now but I’m super nervous!
emilyk23
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Sheffield Hallam University)
Hello!

Welcome to our thread where you can ask us any questions you have about studying at Hallam or about student life in Sheffield. Start your discussion and we’ll join in with suggestions and answers too. Image

Reply below with your answers:
:cyber:
What course will you be applying for?
Where else are you thinking of applying to?
What stage are you at in your application?
How are you feeling about starting uni?

Helen, Rachel and Ella (Official Sheffield Hallam reps) :hello:
I have applied for the languages with international business and international business with French. I have also applied to Nottingham Trent and Uni of Lincoln. I am ready to accept offers as I have had all of them back. If I am honest, I am quite nervous about starting uni. I just don't know if I will fit in or be able to make friends.
Josh burroughs
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
I have applied for professional policing. I have also applied to Leeds Trinity, Liverpool John Moore’s, Nottingham Trent and York St. John. I am just waiting for one more offer before I can make my decision. I’m feeling nervous but not too bad as I do reasonably okay in new social situations. One big question I have is how strenuous is the work side of uni? Is it all encompassing and will take up most of your life or is it easy to find a balance?
Cheers
Josh
HPScszerba
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by emilyk23)
I have applied for the languages with international business and international business with French. I have also applied to Nottingham Trent and Uni of Lincoln. I am ready to accept offers as I have had all of them back. If I am honest, I am quite nervous about starting uni. I just don't know if I will fit in or be able to make friends.
Have some faith, you'll fit in, there will be many other people like you and me who are frightened and nervous about making friends ,moving out, etc. There is no need to worry, there will be tons of people and you'll make friends even if you're socially awkward, like me, and also if we're honest with ourselves no one "fits in" at university it's more of a community and friendships will blossom from your accommodation and course as well as people who you meet out and about. go for it. The only thing stopping you from going to university, making friends and having fun is you. So you've gotta shape up and be ready to put yourself out there,, we're all scared too don't worry you won't be the only other nervous person. try to meet some people in advance of university and make some friends, I can't stress this enough: you will be fine. So work through your offers make a choice and be excited to experience university.
HPScszerba
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Josh burroughs)
I have applied for professional policing. I have also applied to Leeds Trinity, Liverpool John Moore’s, Nottingham Trent and York St. John. I am just waiting for one more offer before I can make my decision. I’m feeling nervous but not too bad as I do reasonably okay in new social situations. One big question I have is how strenuous is the work side of uni? Is it all encompassing and will take up most of your life or is it easy to find a balance?
Cheers
Josh
Hello! It really depends on your course, if it's exam based or coursework based. Also contact hours are few and far between you will have lots of free time outside of your studies on and after the clock, it will be fairly easy to balance and the work isn't too trying as long as you don't leave it till last minute.
Ehathiramani
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Cheers
Josh
I have also applied to Sheffield Hallam and Nottingham Trent for professional policing, how long did it take you to get an offer from Nottingham Trent?
Josh burroughs
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Hey, glad to hear of somebody else doing the same thing, as of yet I haven’t heard back from Nottingham Trent so I can’t answer yet. I was warned when I applied that they may invite me for an interview but haven’t heard anything about that either. What was your offer from Hallam?
Ehathiramani
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Hey, glad to hear of somebody else doing the same thing, as of yet I haven’t heard back from Nottingham Trent so I can’t answer yet. I was warned when I applied that they may invite me for an interview but haven’t heard anything about that either. What was your offer from Hallam?
I haven’t got an offer yet from Hallam but I’ve had conditional ones from Coventry (London campus) and Liverpool john Moores and an unconditional one from the University of Northampton. I was told I might have an interview invite from Nottingham Trent as well
Josh burroughs
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Oh okay, what is the number one uni your interested in at the moment? Ngl mine is probably Hallam
Rep:
Hi, I also applied to Sheffield Hallam to do the new professional policing course, just waiting for a reply now but I’m super nervous!
Cheers
Josh
Hi Josh burroughs,

I'm so pleased to hear you have applied to study with us at Hallam! It's okay to feel nervous, often this is mixed with feelings of excitement, but you're doing the right thing asking questions to prepare yourself and I'm sure you''ll find your feet.

At Hallam you will be assigned 3 advisors, one academic advisors to help you with your studies, one adviser to help with personal support and a third advisor to give you careers advice - so you will always have access to the support you need if you ever feel overwhelmed. Hopefully you enjoy embracing university life at Hallam if you choose to come here.

Let me know if you have any specific questions about the Professional Policing course or student life in Sheffield, I'd be happy to help answer!
- Ella
Rep:
(Original post by Ehathiramani)
I have also applied to Sheffield Hallam and Nottingham Trent for professional policing, how long did it take you to get an offer from Nottingham Trent?
(Original post by Ehathiramani)
I haven’t got an offer yet from Hallam but I’ve had conditional ones from Coventry (London campus) and Liverpool john Moores and an unconditional one from the University of Northampton. I was told I might have an interview invite from Nottingham Trent as well
Hey Ehathiramani,

Good luck with your offers! If you have any queries about the course or student life at Hallam don't hesitate to get in touch

- Ella
Rep:
(Original post by emilyk23)
Hey emilyk23,

I'm excited to hear you an offer from Hallam! As I have said to Josh burroughs, it's normal to feel nervous, everyone will feel this at some point at university, but there is so much to be excited about and you will have plenty of support you need to settle in, including 3 advisers for academic, personal and careers support whenever you need it.

As HPScszerba has said it isn't a case of 'fitting in' there are so many different communities at Hallam, you will make friends on your course when you get put in groups or paired, particularly because you are all studying the same course so will be like minded. If you're in halls you're best trying to be as open minded as possible and get to know the people your sharing a flat with straight away - if feel like you are struggling to make friends with the people you live with there are plenty of sports, societies, programmes and events to get involved with at the Student's Union.

Let me know if I can answer any specific questions you have about your course, student life at Hallam or Sheffield in general & good luck with everything!
- Ella
Hm518
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Hello!

Welcome to our thread where you can ask us any questions you have about studying at Hallam or about student life in Sheffield. Start your discussion and we’ll join in with suggestions and answers too. Image

Reply below with your answers:
:cyber:
What course will you be applying for?
Where else are you thinking of applying to?
What stage are you at in your application?
How are you feeling about starting uni?

Helen, Rachel and Ella (Official Sheffield Hallam reps) :hello:
Hi,

I'm Hayley, I've just applied for children's nursing for Sept 2020.
I've only applied for Sheffield Hallam and will be going in as a mature student😬
I've submitted my application and I'm just waiting now!
I've put this off for so long so I'm a bit nervous but also feel now is the right time for me.
Rep:
(Original post by Hm518)
Hi,

I'm Hayley, I've just applied for children's nursing for Sept 2020.
I've only applied for Sheffield Hallam and will be going in as a mature student😬
I've submitted my application and I'm just waiting now!
I've put this off for so long so I'm a bit nervous but also feel now is the right time for me.
Hi Hm518,
I'm glad to hear you have chosen to apply at Sheffield Hallam, Its never too late to go to university and follow your dream, so i'm happy that you have finally been able to put that application in to study Nursing.
Nerves are good, and once you start you will get so much out of your course and placements to take with you into your career.

Good luck with your application and your studies at Sheffield Hallam.
Let me know if you have any further questions about studying at Hallam.

Thank you,
Rachel
Hm518
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Hi Hm518,
I'm glad to hear you have chosen to apply at Sheffield Hallam, Its never too late to go to university and follow your dream, so i'm happy that you have finally been able to put that application in to study Nursing.
Nerves are good, and once you start you will get so much out of your course and placements to take with you into your career.

Good luck with your application and your studies at Sheffield Hallam.
Let me know if you have any further questions about studying at Hallam.

Thank you,
Rachel
Thank you Rachel,

How long would you usually expect to wait to hear if you have been successful in your application? Or made it to the next step?

Thanks Hayley
Rep:
(Original post by Hm518)
Thank you Rachel,

How long would you usually expect to wait to hear if you have been successful in your application? Or made it to the next step?

Thanks Hayley
Hi Hm518
Decision times differ for all of our perspective students due to a multitude of reasons and some universities may be a lot quicker than others to respond to you with a decision or to invite you to an interview or selection event.

If you applied by 15 January you should receive a decision on your application from us by 2 May, this is the final deadline for hearing back, and often you will a lot sooner than this.

If you have any other questions don't hesitate to let us know, or you can alternatively contact our admissions team.

Thank you
Rachel
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How did The Student Room help you with your university application?

Talking to current university students (12)
17.65%
Talking to peers going through the same thing (24)
35.29%
Speaking to student ambassadors from the universities (5)
7.35%
Speaking to staff members from universities (1)
1.47%
Using the personal statement builder, library or helper service (7)
10.29%
Reading articles about what steps to take (14)
20.59%
Learning about/speaking to Student Finance England (2)
2.94%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
4.41%

Watched Threads