Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website

Sheffield Hallam University (SHU) 2020 applicants chat thread and FAQ

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by xionax
Thanks for the reply Hayley.

How are you feeling about the selection event? I’m hoping the prep day will be really helpful in helping us stand out at an event (fingers crossed you get an offer after your event!). Wow six weeks isn’t a bad turn around though, I think mine will probably be a little longer as I missed the Jan 15th deadline. You never know we might end up sharing some lectures (not sure though as I don’t know if they mix adult with children’s nursing in some lectures etc) got my fingers crossed we will both be successful x

Thanks for the reply Iona,

I'm pretty nervous! But hoping the prep before will help. Which prep event are you going to? There is an open day on the 7th March too but I attended this last year.
I don't think they mix adult and children but may see you around campus if we both get through :smile:
Crazy to think I'm actually going to take the plunge and I'll be in my 40's before I qualify 😭

Good luck I hope you hear soon x
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website
Original post by Siubojannn
Thank you Ella!!
Do you know the timetable of the course? Is it one block academic then one block placement? Or will study and placement happen at the same time?
Also, as I plan to rent an apartment with my family, which area would you suggest ?
Thanksssssss!

Hi @Siubojannn,

The timetables vary year on year, but I would chat to Aisha our current Adult Nursing student on UniBuddy as she will be able to tell you what the academic to placement ratio is for this course :h: Aisha is also from Sheffield so she can give some advice on which area is best to live for an apartment with your family.

It depends on what you are looking for too. You will want to be close to the collegiate campus (hunters bar/ecclesall road area) where you will be studying as there it little parking in this area, although public transport is regular, bus tickets are £1 for students!
- Ella
Original post by Hm518
Hi Ella

I've had an email today inviting me to a selection event :smile: when should I apply for student finance? Do I wait until I have a confirmed place for September thanks

Hi @Hm518,
Congratulations! Good luck with the selection event, let us know how it goes :h: Once you have applied you can apply anytime now, you will need your passport details and national insurance number to apply - you don't have to wait until your place is confirmed.
- Ella
I do
Reply 64
Original post by Hm518

I'm pretty nervous! But hoping the prep before will help. Which prep event are you going to? There is an open day on the 7th March too but I attended this last year.
I don't think they mix adult and children but may see you around campus if we both get through :smile:
Crazy to think I'm actually going to take the plunge and I'll be in my 40's before I qualify 😭

I’ll be attending the prep event on the 26th so this week lol, I’m hoping it will help me to feel less nervous too! Yeah I’ll also be attending the open day on the 7th, bit nervous to be going on my own though lol. Yes definitely, you’ll have to keep me updated and let me know how you get on :smile: don’t worry about being nervous, I’m sure you’ll do brilliantly and I’ll be 32 when I qualify if I get on this year, but you’ll have the life experience that will give you an edge over other people, think of it that way :smile: x
I’ve received an email today inviting me to a selection event next week. As an international applicant, I am wondering if the nursing interview will still include the 15-45 min communication and teamwork group exercises? Thank you for answering !
Reply 66
I’ve received an email today inviting me to a selection event next week. As an international applicant, I am wondering if the nursing interview will still include the 15-45 min communication and teamwork group exercises? Thank you for answering !

Hi @Siubojannn,

Well done for getting an invite to a selection event!
I have looked at the SHU website and it states for international applicants, the selection event will be done over the phone or Skype for your convenience.

Hope this helps, iona :wink:
Reply 67
Original post by Hm518

Hi again @Hm518,

I did message you the other day (hope you don’t mind) but I didn’t make it to the prep day due to being ill all night 🙄 so I rebooked for the 18th, I also got an email yesterday inviting me to a selection event! I booked in for the 25th group 2. So annoyed that I didn’t make it the other day or I’d have booked the 11th lol. I’m really nervous though haha. X
Original post by xionax
Hi @Siubojannn,

Well done for getting an invite to a selection event!
I have looked at the SHU website and it states for international applicants, the selection event will be done over the phone or Skype for your convenience.

Hope this helps, iona :wink:

Hi Iona,
Yea I read through that as well.
Are u applying for BSC nursing? Hope you can get a place as well! Good luck to us!

Jan:smile:
Reply 69
Hi Iona,
Yea I read through that as well.
Are u applying for BSC nursing? Hope you can get a place as well! Good luck to us!

Jan:smile:

Hi Jan,

Hopefully the official rep can get back to you and clarify it before your event :smile: yes I’m applying for BSc Adult Nursing. Good luck to us both! How’re you feeling are you nervous? Where will you be moving from?
Iona :smile:

Hello @Siubojannn
Congratulation on your offer. :clap2:
I would advise you to contact our admissions department as they will be able to talk you through the process of your interview, as said above - for International students applying to the university the selection process will take place over the phone/ via skype for your convenience.

you can contact admissions by email admissions.shu.ac.uk or by phone on 0114 225 4251
Thank you
Rachel
Original post by xionax
Hi Jan,

Hopefully the official rep can get back to you and clarify it before your event :smile: yes I’m applying for BSc Adult Nursing. Good luck to us both! How’re you feeling are you nervous? Where will you be moving from?
Iona :smile:

Just done my interview through zoom yesterday. A bit nervous but feeling okay. I hope they will give me an offer ...finger-crossed
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 72
I've booked on the preparation afternoon on weds and my interview is the following Wednesday......thinking the way things are going both will be postponed 🙈 surely there are too many of us to zoom interview us all?
Hi,
I just wondered if after a selection event, whether it’s good or bad news do you receive any kind of feedback about your interview? Or is it a response on UCAS only?

Thank you.
Original post by Hm518
I've booked on the preparation afternoon on weds and my interview is the following Wednesday......thinking the way things are going both will be postponed 🙈 surely there are too many of us to zoom interview us all?

Hi @Hm518,

In light of new government guidance regarding the Coronavirus, you will receive email communications regarding preparation events, selection events and all other events shortly. There will be guidance for any alternative arrangements. Please visit our Coronavirus webpage for other university updates.

Let me know if you have any questions about studying at Hallam or student life in Sheffield :h:
- Ella
(edited 4 years ago)
Just done my interview through zoom yesterday. A bit nervous but feeling okay. I hope they will give me an offer ...finger-crossed

Hi - can I just ask how long your Zoom interview lasted, and also what sort of questions they asked you? Many thanks!
Original post by PollyWalker
Hi,
I just wondered if after a selection event, whether it’s good or bad news do you receive any kind of feedback about your interview? Or is it a response on UCAS only?

Thank you.

Hi @PollyWalker,

There will be a way to request feedback if you are unsuccessful by emailing [email protected], however this may take longer than usual given our current circumstances. Visit our Coronavirus update: advice for applicants webpage for more info.
Good luck! :h:
- Ella
Hi all, @Hm518 @stu151201 and @Siubojannn

You can find our Coronavirus update and advice for applicants here, if you need any information on this :h:

Good luck with your offers!

- Ella
Original post by stu151201
Hi - can I just ask how long your Zoom interview lasted, and also what sort of questions they asked you? Many thanks!

It lasts about 20-30 mins. I can’t remember what exactly they asked, but it is about the reason for choosing nursing, and how you see NHS value ...
Hope that helps! Good luck !:smile:
Hu I have applied to do Accounting and Finance at Sheffield Hallam, the entry points is 104 which is a low DMM. Realistically I am most probably gonna get 96 UCAS points which is an MMM. What is the likelihood of me getting accepted in this course? Are Sheffield Hallam lenient with grades? Thanks in advance!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending