Kxmil7
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I am currently taking the EPQ and I’m starting to think from reading stuff online that it won’t really give me much help in applying for a medicine.
I would just like to know whether it would be better to do the EPQ or to do online courses related to medicine.

Which would be more beneficial for applying for medicine? Bearing in mind I choose a Medical topic for the online courses (FutureLearn/OpenLearn), or a medicine related topic for the EPQ?

Any suggestions will be appreciated
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Kxmil7)
I am currently taking the EPQ and I’m starting to think from reading stuff online that it won’t really give me much help in applying for a medicine.
I would just like to know whether it would be better to do the EPQ or to do online courses related to medicine.

Which would be more beneficial for applying for medicine? Bearing in mind I choose a Medical topic for the online courses (FutureLearn/OpenLearn), or a medicine related topic for the EPQ?

Yes, some medical schools e.g. HYMS may give you a lower grade offer if you score highly in the EPQ (and firm them).

It may also give you something to talk about, during the interviews.
Kxmil7
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
Yes, some medical schools e.g. HYMS may give you a lower grade offer if you score highly in the EPQ (and firm them).

It may also give you something to talk about, during the interviews.
But apparently it dosent get mentioned much in the interview
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
But apparently it dosent get mentioned much in the interview
No, but you can talk about it yourself.
Kxmil7
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
No, but you can talk about it yourself.
I don’t know why but I feel like it won’t help me get an offer and not really help in the interview, idk why I just can’t put words to it.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I don’t know why but I feel like it won’t help me get an offer and not really help in the interview, idk why I just can’t put words to it.
Well as I said, some med schools will lower their grade offers if you have a high grade in EPQ. That's fact.

It may not help in interviews - your interview performance is never guaranteed, even the best can have an off day.
sos depressed
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

Hi
I'm doing an EPQ and honestly it hasn't helped me at all other than causing me to cry since June twice a week at least. Everyone else is in the same boat doing the EPQ and honestly unless you are going to F up your A-levels (which considering you're looking at medicine I doubt you will) the mental pain isn't worth it.
Hope this helps
sos depressed
cheerIeader
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Sadly, yes. I knew of one boy who got BDD and an A* in EPQ and he bolted it onto his grades as if to say it's an A-Level (which it isn't or we'd be seeing a third D).

So I gave him a harsh reality check, hun and he sure wasn't gloating about the apparent A* anymore. The point is, you can do any scheme and none of them will give you a grade except for EPQ, so yes, it can be seen at an advantage but won't look particularly good unless the rest of the grades are, because he sure didn't seem all round smart to me. x
Kxmil7
Rep:
?
I am in Year 12 BTW
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Suffolk
    Undergraduate Open Day - Ipswich Main Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 9 Dec '19
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (194)
18.83%
Labour (530)
51.46%
Liberal Democrats (139)
13.5%
Green Party (57)
5.53%
Brexit Party (15)
1.46%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (4)
0.39%
SNP (16)
1.55%
Plaid Cymru (5)
0.49%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (7)
0.68%
SDLP (1)
0.1%
Ulster Unionist (4)