username3797988
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Hi,
Dose anyone have any information on the on what is the role of the cell membrane in regulating how nutrients are gained and wastes products lost ?

Many thanks
C'est me
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
The cell membrane allows nutrients into the cell via either passive transport, active transport or endocytosis. The process of releasing waste products is exocytosis instead of endocytosis.
Bubbleuk
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
im stuck on this questions too
Levi.-
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by C'est me)
The cell membrane allows nutrients into the cell via either passive transport, active transport or endocytosis. The process of releasing waste products is exocytosis instead of endocytosis.
also diffusion of CO2
Jpw1097
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by username3797988)
Hi,
Dose anyone have any information on the on what is the role of the cell membrane in regulating how nutrients are gained and wastes products lost ?

Many thanks
There are only a few ways substances can cross the cell membrane: simple diffusion, facilitated diffusion (using carrier or channel proteins), active transport, and endocytosis/exocytosis. Have a read about these mechanisms and when each one is used. It’s all to do with the size and charge of the substance; small, non-polar substances can diffuse across the membrane easily while large, charged substances do not and require other methods such as facilitated diffusion or active transport.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (150)
14.78%
I'm not sure (44)
4.33%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (303)
29.85%
I have already dropped out (26)
2.56%
I'm not a current university student (492)
48.47%

Watched Threads