darylson101
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, I am considering the Mst in History. Could anybody please tell me about their experience of this course? i.e. what the residential sessions were like, how it was to be at Madingley Hall instead of a college etc.

Thanks in advance
td_100
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi

I attended the recent open day and I am a student on the History of Art Diploma, a great venue to study. Slides from the open day are on the website
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by darylson101)
Hi, I am considering the Mst in History. Could anybody please tell me about their experience of this course? i.e. what the residential sessions were like, how it was to be at Madingley Hall instead of a college etc.

Thanks in advance
Is the History MSt actually run in Madingley Hall? The MSt IR isn't, the MSt IR and Creative Writing just matriculated together with the rest of the full-time students in Selwyn at the start of term. They have lectures in town and only go to Madingley for course socials as far as I know. History might run differently I suppose.
td_100
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes, it is administered at the ICE and taught in teaching blocks, you matriculate to 1 of 4 colleges, Selwyn is one of them
darylson101
Rep:
?
Yes, from comparing the website of both IR and history, it suggests they are different with history students not being permitted to reside in college accommodation.
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes, from comparing the website of both IR and history, it suggests they are different with history students not being permitted to reside in college accommodation.
Might be different when you get here, or up to the College. Though Madingley accommodation is better than most College accommodation, basically tudor hotel. The food is excellent, the gardens and buildings are lovely, the bar is good. It's basically a College in the countryside, a few miles outside Cambridge.
td_100
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The history course is a MSt therefore part time and taught in blocks, the accommodation is at Madingley and booked for the teaching blocks unless you live locally. You may be able however reserve college accommodation at your matriculated college subject to availability.
darylson101
Rep:
?
(Original post by threeportdrift)
Might be different when you get here, or up to the College. Though Madingley accommodation is better than most College accommodation, basically tudor hotel. The food is excellent, the gardens and buildings are lovely, the bar is good. It's basically a College in the countryside, a few miles outside Cambridge.
thank you, this sounds great. But how does it affect the student experience?
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
thank you, this sounds great. But how does it affect the student experience?
Well all the MSts are in residence out of term time, so there is no student experience in terms of clubs and societies running, formal halls etc anyway. If you want that, you have to travel to Cambridge in term time, ie be within travelling distance - which many do. So I played uni level sport while i was on an MSt - crazy travelling, but it was fine, no-one cared, worried, bothered about it. I was in College last night and 2 MSt students had come in for the evening, one lives in Cam, one lives 45 minutes away.

however, the student experience within the course is the same, you'll still have formals at Madingley and the style of the building and service is 'old college', and you can have a car!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (588)
34.07%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (714)
41.37%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (345)
19.99%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.58%

Watched Threads