antika
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi. Sorry if it's in wrong section, couldn't find the right one. So, I am writing my BA thesis and I can't stop comaring my work with other people works I read. My paper looks so dum when I read some elses work. The seem so perfect and good and I feel that I will never achieve this level of writing. And it bothers me because psychologically I can't start rewriting my paper. How can I overcome this? Does anyone have tips, idk
Thank you

Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Stop comparing your work and just start writing. Jot down your ideas and research around said ideas. Run things by your lecturers if possible.
antika
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
It dosen't work that simple, just stop comparing. I can't just don't read them, I need to reference them xDD
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by antika)
It dosen't work that simple, just stop comparing. I can't just don't read them, I need to reference them xDD
Ah, I thought you specifically meant other people in your cohort. Well, this is besides the point. You still need to make a start or you will fail. Simple as.

If you're struggling with your writing style speak to your tutor; they may be able to help.

What marks have you been getting previously in assignments?
Anon120701
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Im not in university but the hardest part is the beginning! But, again im not sure what to say as im not in your position but try and spider diagram each paragraph, decide what you want each section to be about. Research and add to your diagrams with the corresponding references. Then you can start it as you can link your introductory paragraph to your other paragraphs, link it to what you will say later on.

Also, lets say other people write fancier than you, try and use synonyms online, dont go crazy though.
E.g
- Long ago research was done about the parts of the brain.
VS
Decades ago, research was conducted which focused on the many functions of each component of the brain along with their anatomical differences.

There you can see the sentence is longer (not too long) and uses better words. If you have a tutor maybe ask them to read a sample of your work and ask them if they could suggest some improvements, or ask them how to plan. A good plan can really help, if your writing isn't structured it will end up being all over the place.
Dong Laoshi
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
cringe
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Arts University Bournemouth
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Thu, 12 Dec '19
  • Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance
    Musical Theatre Undergraduate
    Fri, 13 Dec '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19

Do you work while at uni?

Yes I work at university (72)
32.58%
No I don't (104)
47.06%
I work during the holidays (45)
20.36%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise