zodisagoddess21
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
So I've lived in the uk for nearly 2 years, i was born here, so was my mum. I've applied to university and the universities i applied to i think they see me as international(one asked for ielts, the other hasn't decided my fee status) if I'm international then i have to pay international fees(which is significantly more than home fees) and i also wont get student finance. My question is what should i do? how else can i finance my university? I need all the help i can get.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Where were you living before 2 years ago and why where you living there?

Would you be willing to take a gap year?
zodisagoddess21
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
Where were you living before 2 years ago and why where you living there?

Would you be willing to take a gap year?
I was living in Nigeria, I was living there cause my parents chose to live there. I am willing to take a gap year, but my fear is that since the universities assume already that I'm an international student, when i take my gap year they'll still see me as international even though i would have completed my 3yr requirement.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by zodisagoddess21)
I was living in Nigeria, I was living there cause my parents chose to live there. I am willing to take a gap year, but my fear is that since the universities assume already that I'm an international student, when i take my gap year they'll still see me as international even though i would have completed my 3yr requirement.
Have your universities asked you to complete a fee status assessment? Often universities will set applicants to international fees while they wait for more information to make a decision - it may be that they will change their minds. If you took a gap year then you can ask universities to reassess your fee status. If you're assessed as eligible for student support by SFE then that will usually convince them (the SFE rules are stricter than the university fee status rules).

I don't suppose you are able to prove that your parent's stay in Nigeria was for temporary/fixed term reasons?

Talk to your universities to ask if they can review your status (they'll have a form to fill out to provide more information) and speak to UKCISA for advice on the various rules and classifications for fee status and student support https://www.ukcisa.org.uk/About-UKCI...-us#layer-6404
zodisagoddess21
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
Have your universities asked you to complete a fee status assessment? Often universities will set applicants to international fees while they wait for more information to make a decision - it may be that they will change their minds. If you took a gap year then you can ask universities to reassess your fee status. If you're assessed as eligible for student support by SFE then that will usually convince them (the SFE rules are stricter than the university fee status rules).

I don't suppose you are able to prove that your parent's stay in Nigeria was for temporary/fixed term reasons?

Talk to your universities to ask if they can review your status (they'll have a form to fill out to provide more information) and speak to UKCISA for advice on the various rules and classifications for fee status and student support https://www.ukcisa.org.uk/About-UKCI...-us#layer-6404
One of the universities sent a fee status assessment. I'll just hope that sfe asesses that I'm eligible.If not I'll take a gap year and do the reassessment thing for fee status. The stay wasn't really temporary but I was always going to move to the UK however, my permanent family home is still in Nigeria. Thank you for your help.
Last edited by zodisagoddess21; 4 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19
  • The University of Law
    Open Day – GDL and LPC - Chester campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 4 Jan '20
  • University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 6 Jan '20

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (282)
46.77%
No (69)
11.44%
I'm not old enough (252)
41.79%

Watched Threads