Deskilz
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
First let me provide some context. I am in year 10, and I am quite an avid student. I attend maths and English tuition, and I do all of my homework and other activities. I mostly get 9s in biology, chemistry, computer science, physics and maths, however, I struggle with English, German and RS which I am all working at barely a level 7.

My parents are constantly nagging me to do revision, even when I don't have tests. I hope to eventually get 8s and 9s in my GCSE subjects (emphasis on hope), and I am doing well on tests, so how much should I revise in a day? How much did you revise in year 10 in day? Do I need to revise at all? It would be great to get some context from others...
Kotrii10
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
honestly? in yr10 I didn't do any revision apart from revising for an hour or so for my mocks/tests in class and only in year11 did I start proper revision and I came out with 8s or above in my GCSEs. You simply don't need to do revision this early on. Since you seem like you're a bright student, go easy on yourself. It gets harder as you go up in school and you don't want to burn yourself out this early on.Year 10 is the last year of school that you can truly enjoy without the true stress of exams and pressure to do well. DON'T WASTE this time worrying too much about your exams. YOU'VE GOT PLENTY OF TIME!
Of course that isn't to say to mess around in class - simply do your homework, listen to the teacher and revise for your class tests but don't over do it.
English takes practice and it's something not everyone is good at. But reading books will certainly help you. You can also read your English lit set books more than once, or if you've already finished one of your set texts - read it again!For German, use quizlet!!!!It is the BEST app out there for learning vocabulary. Learn a set of new words every week and then go over old vocab from time to time. Make sure you understand the grammar. Again, for German it is simply practice practice and practice.If you really want to improve, attempt to watch YouTube/TV in German, maybe listen to German music but that is not necessary. For RS I cant really give you advice (never did it myself haha) but from what I've heard it is about knowing the content. Try Seneca for all your subjects.
But like I said before, enjoy year 10 whilst you can. Year 11 will hit you like a truck and you will be stressing out enough anyway.
if you've got any questions then feel free to ask xx
Good Luck!!
Deskilz
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Kotrii10)
honestly? in yr10 I didn't do any revision apart from revising for an hour or so for my mocks/tests in class and only in year11 did I start proper revision and I came out with 8s or above in my GCSEs. You simply don't need to do revision this early on. Since you seem like you're a bright student, go easy on yourself. It gets harder as you go up in school and you don't want to burn yourself out this early on.Year 10 is the last year of school that you can truly enjoy without the true stress of exams and pressure to do well. DON'T WASTE this time worrying too much about your exams. YOU'VE GOT PLENTY OF TIME!
Of course that isn't to say to mess around in class - simply do your homework, listen to the teacher and revise for your class tests but don't over do it.
English takes practice and it's something not everyone is good at. But reading books will certainly help you. You can also read your English lit set books more than once, or if you've already finished one of your set texts - read it again!For German, use quizlet!!!!It is the BEST app out there for learning vocabulary. Learn a set of new words every week and then go over old vocab from time to time. Make sure you understand the grammar. Again, for German it is simply practice practice and practice.If you really want to improve, attempt to watch YouTube/TV in German, maybe listen to German music but that is not necessary. For RS I cant really give you advice (never did it myself haha) but from what I've heard it is about knowing the content. Try Seneca for all your subjects.
But like I said before, enjoy year 10 whilst you can. Year 11 will hit you like a truck and you will be stressing out enough anyway.
if you've got any questions then feel free to ask xx
Good Luck!!
Thank you very much. I already use seneca and it is one of the best revision tools out there.
Kotrii10
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Deskilz)
Thank you very much. I already use seneca and it is one of the best revision tools out there.
yh it definitely is, I loved it. It's a shame they dont have more courses for A level
Rolo1234
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Seneca is the best!!!!!
anon12344321
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Deskilz)
First let me provide some context. I am in year 10, and I am quite an avid student. I attend maths and English tuition, and I do all of my homework and other activities. I mostly get 9s in biology, chemistry, computer science, physics and maths, however, I struggle with English, German and RS which I am all working at barely a level 7.

My parents are constantly nagging me to do revision, even when I don't have tests. I hope to eventually get 8s and 9s in my GCSE subjects (emphasis on hope), and I am doing well on tests, so how much should I revise in a day? How much did you revise in year 10 in day? Do I need to revise at all? It would be great to get some context from others...
if you revise effectively you don't have to so much revision. in your case just focus on improving your writing skills. it seems vague but there arevideos out there to help u improve. the easiest thing to do is just to look at the spec for the subjects and make sure you can do all the things or says. for German you would probably need to work much harder to get a 8 or 9. best way to get good at a language is to actually learn it. GCSE don't really teach you much but if you maybe watch some movies or something in German and try and understand it it could help. seems unrealistic but better than staring at a textbook all day. it would help your listening and speaking skills.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19

Do you work while at uni?