The Student Room Group

CIFAS need help please

Around a couple of months ago I was in a desperate situation where I needed money but was unable to find a way that I could get it within the time frame. This girl who was on my snapcjat was advertising about how she can get me easymoney within a day by doing universal credit and it all turned out alright as it’s a legit benefit ? Hence why no questions arrived with my bank which was HSBC. However she started telling me there was other ways she was able to get me money but didn’t filly explain it and all she needed was my card details my online banking details and the whole lot and I gave it and I’ve done this max around 3 times and each time a large transaction had come into my bank account which obviously raised a lot of questions to my bank so they called me on both occasions. And I obviously had to lie to them saying I authorise the transaction and made a lie in why it was because of. Then my card got blocked and they carried out an investigation and decided to close down my bank account. And within this letter they sent they said their gonna disclose any fraudulent activity that was done on this account to the police? Does this mean the police is going to be In touch with me I honestly don’t know and am really scared. Okay so once all that happens I opened an account with Lloyd’s and everything went fine however just 3 days ago I got a message saying they closing down my account within 60 days. So I went into my Lloyd’s bank to find out why and then the lady put me on the phone and they told me I have a CIFAS MARKER on me and they do not want me to be a customer if there’s. And NOW IM EEALLY SCARED I honestly don’t know what I was thinking the girl told me everything was legit and I was stupid and gullible enough to believe her and honestly idk what to do anymore how do I get this marker off ? How long ISIT gonna be there for ? ISIT gonna affect my student finance or my future please someone help me pleaseeeee I’m going out of my mind

Scroll to see replies

Cifas markers last for up to 6 years.
What sort of market is on your credit file?
Original post by Anika111
Around a couple of months ago I was in a desperate situation where I needed money but was unable to find a way that I could get it within the time frame. This girl who was on my snapcjat was advertising about how she can get me easymoney within a day by doing universal credit and it all turned out alright as it’s a legit benefit ? Hence why no questions arrived with my bank which was HSBC. However she started telling me there was other ways she was able to get me money but didn’t filly explain it and all she needed was my card details my online banking details and the whole lot and I gave it and I’ve done this max around 3 times and each time a large transaction had come into my bank account which obviously raised a lot of questions to my bank so they called me on both occasions. And I obviously had to lie to them saying I authorise the transaction and made a lie in why it was because of. Then my card got blocked and they carried out an investigation and decided to close down my bank account. And within this letter they sent they said their gonna disclose any fraudulent activity that was done on this account to the police? Does this mean the police is going to be In touch with me I honestly don’t know and am really scared. Okay so once all that happens I opened an account with Lloyd’s and everything went fine however just 3 days ago I got a message saying they closing down my account within 60 days. So I went into my Lloyd’s bank to find out why and then the lady put me on the phone and they told me I have a CIFAS MARKER on me and they do not want me to be a customer if there’s. And NOW IM EEALLY SCARED I honestly don’t know what I was thinking the girl told me everything was legit and I was stupid and gullible enough to believe her and honestly idk what to do anymore how do I get this marker off ? How long ISIT gonna be there for ? ISIT gonna affect my student finance or my future please someone help me pleaseeeee I’m going out of my mind

Assuming the CIFAS marker is first party fraud, you will be unable to open any bank account, access any form of credit or have any form of financial products including car insurance for at least 6 years.

You say you've done this 'max three times'. So it's not some accidentally isolated incident where you didn't quite realise what you were doing. It's repeat offending. You have directly contributed to drug crime, people trafficking and money laundering.
Reply 3
Original post by londonmyst
Cifas markers last for up to 6 years.
What sort of market is on your credit file?

Im not sure what market is on my credit file how do I find this out ? I’m guessing it is to do with fraud ? I honestly don’t know what to do I didn’t think something like this will ever happen. Do you know if I’m the future i’ll Be able to apply to general jobs or if after uni i’ll Be able to apply to jobs as a primary teacher as I should graduate in 2 1/2 years time
Im not sure what market is on my credit file how do I find this out ? I’m guessing it is to do with fraud ? I honestly don’t know what to do I didn’t think something like this will ever happen. Do you know if I’m the future i’ll Be able to apply to general jobs or if after uni i’ll Be able to apply to jobs as a primary teacher as I should graduate in 2 1/2 years time

Register with checkmyfile, they should let you see free:
https://www.checkmyfile.com/jargon/cifas-fraud-type.htm#:~:targetText=Q%3A%20How%20can%20I%20check,cancel%20online%20at%20any%20time.

It is not the same as a criminal record and won't affect your employment applications.
But is very likely to make it difficult for you to open new bank accounts with high street banks.
Reply 5

If you want to see what information CIFAS holds on you (including CIFAS markers) you'll need to make a Subject Access Request. See https://www.cifas.org.uk/contact-us/subject-access-request (specifically the section headed "How to submit a Data Subject Access Request (DSAR)")

You should count yourself very lucky if all that happens to you is you get a CIFAS marker.
Reply 6
Original post by martin7
If you want to see what information CIFAS holds on you (including CIFAS markers) you'll need to make a Subject Access Request. See https://www.cifas.org.uk/contact-us/subject-access-request (specifically the section headed "How to submit a Data Subject Access Request (DSAR)")

You should count yourself very lucky if all that happens to you is you get a CIFAS marker.

What do you mean I’m lucky what’s the worst that can happen to me ? I’m only 18 btw
Reply 7
What do you mean I’m lucky what’s the worst that can happen to me ? I’m only 18 btw

If you've been involved in fraud/deception and money laundering, then there could be a police investigation and you could be prosecuted. A fraud conviction (i.e. a conviction for dishonesty) is not going to be helpful when you start looking for a job.
It does kinda sound like you've done this knowing fine well it was wrong, and lying to the bank on record won't help, I suspect your excuses for the money were also bit unconvincing?

The thing about being a money mule through banks is the bank ALWAYS notices eventually, and when they do you're the one caught red handed.
Reply 9
I don't want to frighten you, but it is a fairly big deal...
I used to work in the fraud team of a high street bank. Being listed on the CIFAS register is a pretty big issue.
Being on the CIFAS register, your bank account will be closed, it will be difficult to obtain credit and potentially student loans, it will be difficult to get a phone contract and that's the least of your worries.
Money 'mules' are used to launder money gained through criminal means i.e. drugs trade, trafficking etc. They can be investigated by the police and can if convicted, can face up to 14 years in prison.
Especially considering that you have done it more than once, and actively lied to the people who tried to protect you.
Now the fact that you're a student, they may consider you 'vulnerable' but by no means will playing the "I didn't know what I was doing" card get you off scott free.
Follow the advice above and so a data subject access request from CIFAS, and if I was you I'd contact either someone in your local Citizen's Advice Bureau.
Reply 10
Original post by Reality Check
Assuming the CIFAS marker is first party fraud, you will be unable to open any bank account, access any form of credit or have any form of financial products including car insurance for at least 6 years.

Almost got to feel rather bad for someone who finds themself in this situation, through stupidity as opposed to malice, as its a sure fire way of making your life abysmal for that time and damn near impossible to get any form of gainful employment.
Original post by Napp
Almost got to feel rather bad for someone who finds themself in this situation, through stupidity as opposed to malice, as its a sure fire way of making your life abysmal for that time and damn near impossible to get any form of gainful employment.

Yes, I agree with you actually. It's almost harsh to punish imbecility with 6 years 'hard labour' in the financial wilderness.
Original post by Napp

Harsh, but if they're THAT stupid, their life is prob going to be a **** bed anyway.

How’s the situation? I’m in the exact same position, it was done to me by a friend though 🤕
Original post by Luckyisemimen16
How’s the situation? I’m in the exact same position, it was done to me by a friend though 🤕

Have you found an account?
Original post by Student55532
Have you found an account?

What do you mean?
What do you mean?

A current account, since you have a Cifas marker
Original post by Student55532
A current account, since you have a Cifas marker

Ahhh. I don’t think I have a Cifas marker yet. I still have a second bank account with TSB. The first one that was shut down was NatWest.The bank is still investigating the whole case. Today I just got off the phone to the fraud team and I’ve submitted all evidence such as messages, voice notes, phone numbers and Snapchat details by email. They’re gonna get back to me by Friday this week. They said I could choose to contact the police if I want but it’s best to wait until they make a decision.

Never trust anyone with your bank account

Cifas markers last for 6 years I’d suggest you get a prepaid card or go to a credit union

Quick Reply

Latest