The Student Room Group

Migrant worker loan appeal?

I've recently gotten rejected from getting a migrant worker loan on the basis that my contract is a "casual agreement" and that I need to get a job "outside of university" to be eligible.

How exactly does this make sense? I'm working two jobs 30 hours per week and I do not have any household income as my parents are deceased. Since I'm on my last year of Uni I can't afford to be working that many hours so I'm quite dependant on the loan if I want to keep doing well in my studies.

Just wondering if anyone has had similar issues and whether to try to appeal.
Original post by Arnas.s
I've recently gotten rejected from getting a migrant worker loan on the basis that my contract is a "casual agreement" and that I need to get a job "outside of university" to be eligible.

How exactly does this make sense? I'm working two jobs 30 hours per week and I do not have any household income as my parents are deceased. Since I'm on my last year of Uni I can't afford to be working that many hours so I'm quite dependant on the loan if I want to keep doing well in my studies.

Just wondering if anyone has had similar issues and whether to try to appeal.

Hi,

Where a student is employed through their University, this cannot be classed as genuine employment therefore the student will not be eligible for migrant worker status.

Regards, Aisha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending