The Student Room Group

Car for a 18 Year old Boy

Hey guys i want to start driving, in the summer. Of course i am very interested in cars, so im already looking at potential cars. I really like cars like the BMW 1 series, my dream car is the Mercedes a-class hatchback, i think its quite reasonable. Can you guys suggest me and nice cars with the according car year, considering insurance cost and financing a car for a 18 year old living in London. East london, Aldgate is that helps
I think you need to ensure you have passed your test first. Insurance for the cars you suggest may be high.
Reply 2
First year of driving + being under 21 will guarantee high insurance prices. Wait till your a bit older and you can get the car you want easily. Just get a decent job, pay your bills and you’ll get good rate credit.
Reply 3
Yeah, try a 1.2 Polo. They're pretty cheap to insure and don't look too bad.

As someone having to finance a car at the age of 18 you shouldn't be getting yourself into debt before you even started any serious earnings potential. Think about spending a max of 5-10% of your net worth on cars rather than 180%, otherwise you'll find yourself in trouble very quickly. As someone with little to no experience driving, you'll likely make a lot of errors during your first few 100,000 miles of driving and the cost of repairing and maintaining an A class is going to be substantially more than a Polo.
Reply 4
Original post by NX172
Yeah, try a 1.2 Polo. They're pretty cheap to insure and don't look too bad.

As someone having to finance a car at the age of 18 you shouldn't be getting yourself into debt before you even started any serious earnings potential. Think about spending a max of 5-10% of your net worth on cars rather than 180%, otherwise you'll find yourself in trouble very quickly. As someone with little to no experience driving, you'll likely make a lot of errors during your first few 100,000 miles of driving and the cost of repairing and maintaining an A class is going to be substantially more than a Polo.

what age did you pass ur driving? and how did u overcome ur fear?
Reply 5
Original post by 3121
First year of driving + being under 21 will guarantee high insurance prices. Wait till your a bit older and you can get the car you want easily. Just get a decent job, pay your bills and you’ll get good rate credit.

but most ppl my age already drive, i know a lotta friends that drive lux.
Reply 6
Original post by barnetlad
I think you need to ensure you have passed your test first. Insurance for the cars you suggest may be high.

so can u suggest any cars that are good for first time buyers
Reply 7
Original post by XDaJokerz
what age did you pass ur driving? and how did u overcome ur fear?

I passed when I was 17. I wasn't afraid as I had plenty of private practice before taking my test and was confident for independent driving.
but most ppl my age already drive, i know a lotta friends that drive lux.

That's the same logic as jumping off a cliff just because other people are doing it. Monkey see, monkey do. I can tell you now, it's very short lived with very detrimental long term effects. You need money to make money. Driving what you call 'lux' now is like being offered a marshmallow now or 3 in an hour and taking the one marshmallow. The more patient you are, the more you can better afford the finer things in life. A lot of people like to show wealth but are often deep in debt.
For example, I've lost 20k over 2 years on my car alone from maintenance, fuel, depreciation, mods, etc. It's a lot of money but I also have investments that cover my car costs. I also have investments covering my general living costs and savings for the future so it's sustainable. Without these things it's basically financial suicide.
(edited 4 years ago)
so can u suggest any cars that are good for first time buyers

I have only used my mum's car not one of my own. Though I understand her insurance for a Nissan Micra is low.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending