The Student Room Group

UCL or Imperial Medicine?

Scroll to see replies

so to clarify UCL and imperial acc don't look at gcses once you've met the minimum requirements? As in they play no role in the admissions process at all? If so I may have wasted a fair bit of time revising for my gcses :/
Reply 21
Original post by Levi.-
ok i was wrong about the other thing but I don't have to explicitly state that its my opinion on a student room chat, you'd make a good lawyer, if you could amount to much.

Too busy being a doctor, thanks. Doctors also like evidence based information.
A tip for medicine applications - don't try and blag your way through by insisting you are right when you actually know nothing about a topic. Ask, research, learn, don't try to impress in this sort of situation or you will end up looking silly
Reply 22
Sorry. I will behave. But it is just so wrong so cannot be left unchallenged as some people believe what they read on the internet, as you know!
Reply 23
Original post by Levi.-
so to clarify UCL and imperial acc don't look at gcses once you've met the minimum requirements? As in they play no role in the admissions process at all? If so I may have wasted a fair bit of time revising for my gcses :/

Yes. That is the case for Imperial and UCL but not necessarily for other med schools. I know you are finding this hard to accept, but not everyone feels they are the pinnacle of med school achievement
Original post by GANFYD
Too busy being a doctor, thanks. Doctors also like evidence based information.
A tip for medicine applications - don't try and blag your way through by insisting you are right when you actually know nothing about a topic. Ask, research, learn, don't try to impress in this sort of situation or you will end up looking silly

Hey my brother said that last part too! You proved me wrong, I was misinformed and now I slightly less misinformed. I don't see the appeal in being a doctor though but it must be rewarding in some sense for many people to want to be one; thanks for the info tho.
Reply 25
Original post by Levi.-

yup that's correct. Their main selectors are BMAT scores and predicted or achieved a-levels.
Obviously all unis are not the same in this regard!
Original post by 2500_2
yup that's correct. Their main selectors are BMAT scores and predicted or achieved a-levels.
Obviously all unis are not the same in this regard!

Well that's a shame, I worked my socks off to get decent gcses and the only three med schools i'm gonna apply to don't put too much weight on them at all. BMAT is a welcome hurdle though.
Reply 27
Original post by Levi.-
Hey my brother said that last part too! You proved me wrong, I was misinformed and now I slightly less misinformed. I don't see the appeal in being a doctor though but it must be rewarding in some sense for many people to want to be one; thanks for the info tho.

You should listen to your brother!
Why are you planning on applying if you don't see the appeal?
Original post by GANFYD
You should listen to your brother!
Why are you planning on applying if you don't see the appeal?

Eh my cousins did medicine at UCL and Imperial and got alot of internships from big funds and banks due to the extended period of time they studied at university. Medical students are allowed to do internships in their elective year during term time apparently(?) unlike many other degrees. I want to do investment banking and the best route for that is to go to a target school, unfortunately now isn't a great time to get into the industry so medicine atleast provides some job security if I ever find myself strolling the streets of Unemployment. Was my mother's idea to be fair. My family also knows the medical route a fair amount so getting admission whilst not easy should be more straight-forward for us. O well we shall see; my girlfriend is in a similar position as OP she only wants to apply to 1 london school and acc wants to be a doctor, aside from UCAT and BMAT scores do you know what other factors she could base her decision off of?
Reply 29
Original post by 2500_2
You really don't want to head into this discussion @GANFYD, trust me. They are planning to do a med degree then go into investment banking.

Ahhh. Explains a lot, then!
Original post by GANFYD
Ahhh. Explains a lot, then!

:frown:
Original post by 2500_2
The GCSE work will be useful to revisit when you start preparing for BMAT next year.
And while IB internships really only look at Alevels and super curricula, a good set of GCSEs will look good on the application CV

woohoo
Original post by Levi.-
If so I may have wasted a fair bit of time revising for my gcses :/

You think the point of education is just to get a piece of paper? You think that going to med school doesn't teach you how to be a doctor, for example?

By working hard you have learned study skills and raw knowledge that will be useful for your future education and future career.

Original post by Levi.-
Eh my cousins did medicine at UCL and Imperial and got alot of internships from big funds and banks due to the extended period of time they studied at university

I'm not confident a bank would even be happy to take on an intern studying medicine. The idea of internships is to court future employees, and people doing medicine are statistically very very unlikely to go into banking. The longer uni period is also a downside surely, not a good thing.

I'm sure your cousins told you otherwise, but they don't seem to have exactly been very reliable so far do they?!

Medical students are allowed to do internships in their elective year during term time apparently(?) unlike many other degrees

Lol, no. There is no "elective year" - its just a period lasting 6-11 weeks, sometimes immediately pre-exams so is mainly for revision (e.g. at UCL (at least it was 4 years ago)). You definitely cannot just leave uni to do a banking internship instead of studying your degree. To be honest its kind of surprising you would actually believe that (?).

My family also knows the medical route a fair amount so getting admission whilst not easy should be more straight-forward for us.

Your family just wants you to be a doctor. You'll realise eventually!
Reply 33
Original post by Levi.-
Eh my cousins did medicine at UCL and Imperial and got alot of internships from big funds and banks due to the extended period of time they studied at university. Medical students are allowed to do internships in their elective year during term time apparently(?) unlike many other degrees. I want to do investment banking and the best route for that is to go to a target school, unfortunately now isn't a great time to get into the industry so medicine atleast provides some job security if I ever find myself strolling the streets of Unemployment. Was my mother's idea to be fair. My family also knows the medical route a fair amount so getting admission whilst not easy should be more straight-forward for us. O well we shall see; my girlfriend is in a similar position as OP she only wants to apply to 1 london school and acc wants to be a doctor, aside from UCAT and BMAT scores do you know what other factors she could base her decision off of?

Yet they have been giving you the advice you have spouted on here?? :rofl::rofl:

For your girlfriend (presumably you quite like her, so please don't go giving her advice), she needs to apply to med schools that suit her stats and if she is lucky enough to have choice narrow it down by course type, teaching, location, etc. Some med schools use UCAT, some BMAT, some GCSEs, some A levels and some a combination of academics and admission exam. So she would need to work out where her strengths lie and then chose those she likes that fit her stats
Original post by km09
I’m applying next year but only want to put one London university down for Medicine. I’m torn between UCL and Imperial. Imperial has an international reputation as does UCL, as ‘London’s Global University’. I just want the place that will give me the best 6 year life there but also make me a great doctor. I like UCLs campus feel, and there’s loads of societies. Apparently imperial is moving their medical school and South Kensington campus? I’m completely torn. Is one better than the other?

choose Imperial
Reply 35
Original post by emily_000
choose Imperial

Why??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending