Entry requirements not met - Should I still apply? (biological sciences/EU student) Watch

Pia Roeh.
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hey everyone!
I'm currently working on my UCAS application to study biological sciences/biotechnology in Scotland (2020 entry). I'm currently taking a gap year and am therefore basically applying a year "late" having already received my final grades.
I'm now looking into applying at

Aberdeen
Dundee
Edinburgh
Glasgow
Strathclyde/Stirling/Heriot-Watt

BUT I don't meet the entry requirements for a few of them. My final biology grade wasn't as good as expected (9 points / approx. a B at A-Level).
I still got decent grades in my other exams:

English : 12
Maths: 13
Geography: 14
(Biology:9)
-> Overall grade: 1,7

My question now is: Should I still bother applying for these unis?
margherita.smith
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Pia Roeh.)
Hey everyone!
I'm currently working on my UCAS application to study biological sciences/biotechnology in Scotland (2020 entry). I'm currently taking a gap year and am therefore basically applying a year "late" having already received my final grades.
I'm now looking into applying at

Aberdeen
Dundee
Edinburgh
Glasgow
Strathclyde/Stirling/Heriot-Watt

BUT I don't meet the entry requirements for a few of them. My final biology grade wasn't as good as expected (9 points / approx. a B at A-Level).
I still got decent grades in my other exams:

English : 12
Maths: 13
Geography: 14
(Biology:9)
-> Overall grade: 1,7

My question now is: Should I still bother applying for these unis?
This is a tricky question because it really depends on what they expect from you. Some universities will still interview people and accept them even if entry requirements don't meet. This is because sometimes they can be flexible and they based their choice on other factors such as personality or enthusiasm. Saying that, I don't want to give you illusions and I'll be very sad if you'll apply and then they will not accept you. My honest advice is to try but don't put a lot of expectations on it. Just take it easy, anything is certain in this life. Good luck
Admit-One
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
They are less likely to be flexible with achieved grades than predictions, but only the Uni’s will know for sure.

Give them a call to discuss.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • Nottingham Trent University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • University of Groningen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 31 Jan '20

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (212)
53.27%
No (186)
46.73%

Watched Threads