satsun
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Say if I moved to the US, could I run for office?
milliewastestime
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
To run for president you’ve got to be born in the US, a “natural born citizen”. Could still go for Congress I suppose
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by milliewastestime)
To run for president you’ve got to be born in the US, a “natural born citizen”. Could still go for Congress I suppose
Natural born citizen doesn’t mean born in the USA. Neither Barry Goldwater who ran for the Presidency in 1964 nor John McCain who ran in 2008 was born in the USA.
Joleee
Badges: 18
Report 4 weeks ago
to build on the above comments, 'one can be a citizen while not being a "natural born" citizen if... that person gained citizenship through the process of naturalization' (Cornell Law School)

so yes you can, but not immediately.

also moved your thread to Public sector.
milliewastestime
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by nulli tertius)
Natural born citizen doesn’t mean born in the USA. Neither Barry Goldwater who ran for the Presidency in 1964 nor John McCain who ran in 2008 was born in the USA.
McCain became a natural born citizen bc he was born on a US military base (Panama Canal Zone) to two US citizens, so constitutionally it was okay. I’m not too sure about Goldwater - funny one bc Arizona wasn’t a state when he was born.

I know loopholes like that do exist as “natural born citizen” was never defined by the Founding Fathers but I didn’t think that someone say from the UK who parents from the UK could just be President if they gained US citizenship, which is what I think OP is wondering. If you can then I’ve learnt something new today
OnceUponAStudent
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
In the US context, natural born citizen mean born a US citizen. A naturalised citizen isn't a natural born citizen.

To be a member of the US House of Representative, you need to be 25 and US citizen for 7 years. 30 and 9 years for Senate.
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by milliewastestime)
McCain became a natural born citizen bc he was born on a US military base (Panama Canal Zone) to two US citizens, so constitutionally it was okay. I’m not too sure about Goldwater - funny one bc Arizona wasn’t a state when he was born.

I know loopholes like that do exist as “natural born citizen” was never defined by the Founding Fathers but I didn’t think that someone say from the UK who parents from the UK could just be President if they gained US citizenship, which is what I think OP is wondering. If you can then I’ve learnt something new today
I agree that the OP was asking about naturalised citizens who of course do play a full part in US politics except the Presidency.

The Founding Fathers didn't define natural born citizenship but that was because the idea of citizenship by blood was well understood. The idea that a man's minor children would have a different nationality merely by their place of birth would have been anathema to the Founding Fathers. Remember that a wife could not have a separate nationality until modern times.
OnceUponAStudent
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Well, not that well understood if they did end up defining it in law explicitly in 1790, and only by descent once.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (416)
43.97%
No (98)
10.36%
I'm not old enough (432)
45.67%

Watched Threads