The Student Room Group

Does lightly tanned skin look better on some people?

Or is pale better no matter what in ur opinion?
In the past, (long long ago) pale skin was the most sought after beauty standard - which has caused so many cultural problems as a result (colonialism, skin whitening creams etc etc). Nowadays, mostly in the western countries, tan skin is all the rave. Everyone’s either applying fake tan or spending hours outside sunbathing in the summer. And imo, tan does look better. It just seems like a more healthy skin to me. But this is just my opinion - don’t be ashamed of the physical skin you live in, or don’t feel like it’s not beautiful enough.
Both standards have equal amount of severe consequences due to pressure to look well. (Skin cancer from sun beds and toxic metals from skin whitening creams)
Either way, find safe methods of doing so which you wouldn’t feel guilty telling your doctor about.
Tanned can look better (Imo) but I don't think tanning is worth the increased risk of skin cancer.
I think it comes down to skin undertones. A lot of cool toned people I know rock paler skin and a lot of them struggle to tan without burning (maybe it's natures way of saying paler skin suits them?). But warm toned people seem to look healthier with a bit of a gold or bronze tint. I'm neutral-warm in colouring and am light skinned but look better with a bit of a tan and tan really well. I'm jealous of people with that gorgeous porcelain pale skin though especially when they have dark hair with it
Reply 4
I tan well... Hindu. Better than burning. My son went to Texas for 3 months... locals screamed sun block! Naww…

Quick Reply

Latest