Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I was just wondering what people's opinions on labels to do with sexuality are (ie hetero/homosexual, bisexual, asexual, pansexual etc)? I know some people feel they are important and I'd like to hear why. I don't really like them because I feel pressure to fit in with them.

I 'came out' (?) as a straight female about age 15/16 (basically saying 'I'm not gay') and I think I'm still straight. But I feel a bit trapped in that now. For example I do appreciate nice looking women as well as men but actually don't feel much sexual attraction to either sex/gender. I read a definition of asexual that partially resonated with me but I don't really feel I fit into that either - I do still experience some sort of attraction, it's just more romantic. I kinda wish that we didn't have to make a decision, and just had more of a 'you do you' approach to things.
IH8Studying
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
i always read pansexual as pancakes ? that’s my thought on it
anosmianAcrimony
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by IH8Studying)
Thanks for your input. You've clearly spent a lot of time thinking about this stuff and it shows.
anosmianAcrimony
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Real talk - some people find labelling themselves helpful and even relieving, some people don't. In the end, there are over seven billion kinds of people. Be yourself and do whom you're comfortable with.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
Thanks for your input. You've clearly spent a lot of time thinking about this stuff and it shows.
Your input is equally as valuable
anosmianAcrimony
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
(see above)
Anonymous #1
EDIT Just saw your actual reply, sorry!
anosmianAcrimony
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
To be fair, pansexual people are somewhat like pancakes, except less flat and even more delicious.
nathan_nacu
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I was just wondering what people's opinions on labels to do with sexuality are (ie hetero/homosexual, bisexual, asexual, pansexual etc)? I know some people feel they are important and I'd like to hear why. I don't really like them because I feel pressure to fit in with them.

I 'came out' (?) as a straight female about age 15/16 (basically saying 'I'm not gay') and I think I'm still straight. But I feel a bit trapped in that now. For example I do appreciate nice looking women as well as men but actually don't feel much sexual attraction to either sex/gender. I read a definition of asexual that partially resonated with me but I don't really feel I fit into that either - I do still experience some sort of attraction, it's just more romantic. I kinda wish that we didn't have to make a decision, and just had more of a 'you do you' approach to things.
There are 2 types of asexuals, can’t remember the names but
There’s the kind that want romantic affection but feel no drive towards sexual activity, this may pertain to what you have described, maybe look into that.
Then there’s the one that craves no romantic or sexual attention
IH8Studying
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
To be fair, pansexual people are somewhat like pancakes, except less flat and even more delicious.
dunno if that was meant to be sexual?
YaliaV
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You always give such insightful answers...

Labels are only important if you give them importance. You never have to label yourself if you don’t want to. If it isn’t helpful, then don’t adopt it. Just be yourself.
Last edited by YaliaV; 3 weeks ago
nathan_nacu
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
dunno if that was meant to be sexual?
This comment and ur profile picture are killing me😂😂
IH8Studying
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by YaliaV)
You always give such insightful answers...

Labels are only important if you give them importance. You never have to label yourself if you don’t want to. If it isn’t helpful, then don’t adopt it. Just be yourself.
Lool it was meant to be a joke anyway. course i don’t acc read it as pancakes 😂
IH8Studying
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by nathan_nacu)
This comment and ur profile picture are killing me😂😂
oops changed it a second before u said this! now no one will never know
Anon120701
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

You will figure it out in the end. Years ago I came out as biromantic to my friends, deep down I never ever felt sexually attracted to men, it would of been too complicated to explain I liked women sexually so I labeled myself as biromantic anyway. I then said to my friends the next year I was a lesbian but thought I liked a guy, so I was so confused. I thought about it more and when I dated a guy I didn't want to hold their hand, kiss them, it was just a friendship really. My mum thinks im biromantic ( in her head it will be bisexual + asexual) as i said i was asexual and she asked me if i liked girls. I had a therapist who kept forcing the idea of children on me and i got mad so i said 'im asexual' because at the time i believed i was (biromantic.)

Now i am confident about my sexuality, that im a lesbian. But, I don't care that my mum thinks im bi because i know that its not the end of the world and she will find out eventually. Obviously, you can be asexual, but for me it was just for a shorter period of time.

Dont feel trapped in the fact that you came out as straight because honestly being straight might be a phase for some people, and for others it will be their final outcome. I personally like a label as i dont like to feel like i dont have a place, but others may not like a label. My friend said i dont need to use labels and they're not necessary, everyone is different. Just live life as it is and in the end you will just end up finding one without putting pressure on yourself.
nathan_nacu
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
oops changed it a second before u said this! now no one will never know
Awww😭😭
Anon120701
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by nathan_nacu)
There are 2 types of asexuals, can’t remember the names but
There’s the kind that want romantic affection but feel no drive towards sexual activity, this may pertain to what you have described, maybe look into that.
Then there’s the one that craves no romantic or sexual attention
1: asexual 2: aromantic asexual
Ciel.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

"came out as a straight female" straight people don't need to come out. everyone's considered straight by default.
DiddyDecAlt
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I don't conform to labels so I just forego them entirely.
sinfonietta
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Labels can help someone to feel less alone. To know how you feel is a common enough occurrence that there was a need to invent a word for it is reassuring.

On the other hand I find it stressful, because how I feel I doesn't fit neatly into any boxes regarding gender - so I feel like a fake when I use similar but not quite identical terms to try and talk about it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (198)
18.61%
Labour (550)
51.69%
Liberal Democrats (144)
13.53%
Green Party (59)
5.55%
Brexit Party (15)
1.41%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (4)
0.38%
SNP (17)
1.6%
Plaid Cymru (5)
0.47%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (7)
0.66%
SDLP (1)
0.09%
Ulster Unionist (4)