The Student Room Group

RAF Future Career, Thoughts? Advice?

I did some work experience with Joint Service Police and got the help i needed on deciding which service i want to join and it turns out RAF is for me. I am very certain as it suits me personally and i got a recommendation from the Career choosing site 'Cascaid.co.uk' (Kudos). So my question to you guys is. Have any of you joined, in the process of joining or have any sort of advice to someone who's wanting to join? The role/s i am going for is RAF Police but as that is depending on my GCSES which i hope to not fail, i might not get that role so i'd go for RAF Regiment or The Movers (Logistics). Either way share your thoughts and advice.
Reply 1
There's plenty of advice on here and other sites about joining up, but it's such a vast subject I suggest you ask more specific questions to get the answers you want.

Do your research, make sure you are prepared and fit before you apply, and don't go into a job for the sake of joining up; potentially you are looking at a long career and don't want to be in a role you won't like.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Chris_The_Gamer
I did some work experience with Joint Service Police and got the help i needed on deciding which service i want to join and it turns out RAF is for me. I am very certain as it suits me personally and i got a recommendation from the Career choosing site 'Cascaid.co.uk' (Kudos). So my question to you guys is. Have any of you joined, in the process of joining or have any sort of advice to someone who's wanting to join? The role/s i am going for is RAF Police but as that is depending on my GCSES which i hope to not fail, i might not get that role so i'd go for RAF Regiment or The Movers (Logistics). Either way share your thoughts and advice.

Hi

That's great that you've had discussions about a role in the RAF. However, have you had a look through the information on the RAF Recruitment website? (As in, an official source, not third party?) And have you spoken to anyone from the RAF at all? About life in service? The roles etc? I know that's why you're asking here. But is there anything specific about the application process or RAF life you want to know?

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
Reply 3
Chris, concentrate on your school work and do the very best you can. Then do some very solid research into the armed forces and roles using the official careers sites. They are a lot better than they were a few years ago, and provide pretty much all the information you could want to make a decision.

However, once you've narrowed down to a particular role, do come back and ask focussed questions which the experienced people on here can answer.

And in reply to another thread you started, can I stick my oar in and recommend that spelling, grammar and punctuation are really important in life (not just exams) as a pillar of communication. If you communicate badly, things do not go well, and you rarely achieve what you want in life.

Just look around you, and see what lazy talking and writing skills do for people. Just because a lot of people talk.or write in slang with no apparent rules, doesn't make it right. How people talk to you or email you in professional life (ie work) tells you an awful lot about them and how much credibility they have. If you want to join the military you should aim high and be the best you can be 😀

Good luck for your GCSEs

Ikky
Cheers for the advice guys, i forgot to mention I've been to the RAF's stall at the Careers fair and fortunately an RAF Police lady was there who i had a chat with, and i came back home with a leaflet. Then in work experience i got to experience and learn a lot of stuff from the RAF lifestyle. Especially the Law Enforcement within the Armed Forces. I know a life of armed forces is a almost lifelong dedication but seeing as my life probably won't improve here i gotta do something different. I grew up in a place where gossip travels quickly and people start judging everyone.
I'd rather a life in something other than this, i feel like the RAF has the sort of lifestyle i want plus it's just different and i love it. I am a 100 percent sure this is the route i am taking once i am 18. My priority so far has been to join the RAF Police and potentially the Dog Section (Favourite part of the work experience). But not everything is a achievable so i always have the back up plans. RAF Regiment and The Movers. But at the moment none of that is of any use to me until i pass GCSEs with good grades. BTW the Army tried their best to get me in the Military Police but i am RAF all the way :smile:.

Quick Reply

Latest