fedup2000
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I’m in my first year of uni and I moved into uni accommodation where I’m flatmates with two girls and two guys. I’ve never had a problem with the two girls but the boys are so rude and disrespectful. Firstly they leave the kitchen in a mess oil splattered up the wall, pots and pans covered in oil left on the hob or on the counters, dry pasta all over the floor and a hob coated in dry oil. We established a cleaning rota but they’ve mostly ignored it. The worst thing is the constant stealing of kitchen equipment. From me they’ve taken all of my knives, a fork, baking trays, teatowel and they regularly use me and the other girls kitchen equipment since they say they didn’t bring any with them but they only admitted to it when they were caught using my flatmates tray and can opener. They are extremely loud they work late at a club so we expect them to be back in the early hours but it’s every night even when they’re not working they’re talking loudly in the kitchen with their friends and slamming their bedroom doors usually around 3am-5am. When I told them they’d been waking me up and to try and keep the noise down it was ignored. They let their friend in to cook in our kitchen every night and often when I’ve gone in to cook my dinner I’ve not been able to because they stare at me, laugh, make rude noises and talk in their native language so we don’t know what they’re saying. It’s difficult to cook anything when there’s 3-5 people already standing around in the kitchen area. It’s also the lying and the disrespect and rudeness they show us. They’ve taken my cutlery and claimed it as theirs so now when I’ve confronted them they’ve told me it’s their cutlery even though my cutlery is the only one with a square end. They are always unfriendly and especially the guy living in room D is rude. I told my landlord about it but I’m afraid of coming across as discriminative as they’re from Portugal and may not understand why us girls are annoyed at them and keep asking them to stop this behaviour.
grKiro
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
That’s disgusting.....complain 1 more time and if it’s not fruitful then think about other options
roman707
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Unfortunately, it's inevitable that you will stay with inconsiderate flatmates but that is just the general experience that you have to endure when you are living with other people. This may sound frank but as a 4th year student the only solid advice is just to learn to deal and adapt to your situation.

1. You can get a cheap basket from Wilkos or Poundland to keep any of your cutlery or pots in your room, when you need to cook you can bring it to the kitchen to use and then return it back to your room when you're done.
2. Try speak to the boys with the other girls like an 'intervention' to talk about cleaning rota, and noise etc.
3. If the intervention doesn't work and they just don't respect your wishes then you should consider speaking to someone at your University or Student Union and let them know your situation.

(Original post by fedup2000)
I’m in my first year of uni and I moved into uni accommodation where I’m flatmates with two girls and two guys. I’ve never had a problem with the two girls but the boys are so rude and disrespectful. Firstly they leave the kitchen in a mess oil splattered up the wall, pots and pans covered in oil left on the hob or on the counters, dry pasta all over the floor and a hob coated in dry oil. We established a cleaning rota but they’ve mostly ignored it. The worst thing is the constant stealing of kitchen equipment. From me they’ve taken all of my knives, a fork, baking trays, teatowel and they regularly use me and the other girls kitchen equipment since they say they didn’t bring any with them but they only admitted to it when they were caught using my flatmates tray and can opener. They are extremely loud they work late at a club so we expect them to be back in the early hours but it’s every night even when they’re not working they’re talking loudly in the kitchen with their friends and slamming their bedroom doors usually around 3am-5am. When I told them they’d been waking me up and to try and keep the noise down it was ignored. They let their friend in to cook in our kitchen every night and often when I’ve gone in to cook my dinner I’ve not been able to because they stare at me, laugh, make rude noises and talk in their native language so we don’t know what they’re saying. It’s difficult to cook anything when there’s 3-5 people already standing around in the kitchen area. It’s also the lying and the disrespect and rudeness they show us. They’ve taken my cutlery and claimed it as theirs so now when I’ve confronted them they’ve told me it’s their cutlery even though my cutlery is the only one with a square end. They are always unfriendly and especially the guy living in room D is rude. I told my landlord about it but I’m afraid of coming across as discriminative as they’re from Portugal and may not understand why us girls are annoyed at them and keep asking them to stop this behaviour.
fedup2000
Rep:
?
(Original post by roman707)
Unfortunately, it's inevitable that you will stay with inconsiderate flatmates but that is just the general experience that you have to endure when you are living with other people. This may sound frank but as a 4th year student the only solid advice is just to learn to deal and adapt to your situation.

1. You can get a cheap basket from Wilkos or Poundland to keep any of your cutlery or pots in your room, when you need to cook you can bring it to the kitchen to use and then return it back to your room when you're done.
2. Try speak to the boys with the other girls like an 'intervention' to talk about cleaning rota, and noise etc.
3. If the intervention doesn't work and they just don't respect your wishes then you should consider speaking to someone at your University or Student Union and let them know your situation.
We had a flat meeting a week ago about the problems we’ve been having with them but they’ve still been carry on the same behaviour but I definitely will go to my tutor on Monday about this
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by fedup2000)
We had a flat meeting a week ago about the problems we’ve been having with them but they’ve still been carry on the same behaviour but I definitely will go to my tutor on Monday about this
not sure what you expect your tutor to do?

keep your stuff in your room, gather it piece by piece if you have to, regardless of what they claim they own

complain to your accommodation manager about the mess and noise every time it happens, call security if they're making noise... also if they're awake being loud at 5am, get up at 7am and go bang on their door then again at 7.30, 8, 8.30 etc do that daily until they get the message that if they keep you up you'll do the same
YaliaV
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I think it’s time to officially complain to the student accommodation team. You’ve tried to work it out and they don’t care. Things can’t get any worse, so you really have nothing to lose.
Last edited by YaliaV; 4 weeks ago
fedup2000
Rep:
?
(Original post by doodle_333)

keep your stuff in your room, gather it piece by piece if you have to, regardless of what they claim they own

complain to your accommodation manager about the mess and noise every time it happens, call security if they're making noise... also if they're awake being loud at 5am, get up at 7am and go bang on their door then again at 7.30, 8, 8.30 etc do that daily until they get the message that if they keep you up you'll do the same
My tutor works with the accommodation services he’s one of the main people from the uni who help there he’s the one who helped me in the previous meeting with my landlord
roman707
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by doodle_333)

Actually personal tutors can be helpful with things like this as it may affect their academic progress and the student's overall well-being.

Things like this can affect someone's mental health and wellbeing especially in first year.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19
  • The University of Law
    Open Day – GDL and LPC - Chester campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 4 Jan '20
  • University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 6 Jan '20

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (372)
44.29%
No (89)
10.6%
I'm not old enough (379)
45.12%

Watched Threads