The Student Room Group

Official Oxford University 2020 Deselected Applicants Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Vodex_Law
Oh god, this thread just made me slightly more scared seeing all these coming from Worcester.

Regardless I'm sure if you all applied to Oxford you'll do amazing at whichever other unis you go to.

tbh its probably more positive that you've not heard then
Original post by Treetop321
Rejected from Biology
The college you applied to: Worcester
What are your predicted/achieved GCSEs and A-levels, etc.: A*A*A*A - 9999988877
Which other university will likely benefit from your presence: Hopefully St. Andrews or Durham!
Will you reapply next year?: Nope

Really sorry to hear this news but good luck with your A levels and those offers are from great unis who will be lucky to have you.
Original post by username4264700
Rejected from Biology at Worcester GCSEs: 9A*s and 2AsPredicted A-levels:A*A*A*A*kinda gutted ngl i was rly hoping to at least get an interview oh well :frown:

I feel for you but you know in the long term things will work out fine. Oxford really isn’t for everyone. People can be very unhappy there with all the competition and academic pressure. Follow your own star! With such amazing grades you are going to do brilliantly wherever you go.
Did very poorly in MAT and very likely to join this thread soon.
I'm international and unsure whether I should still come to uk to study if I can't get into top unis.
Reply 24
Original post by rebellionium
I'm international and unsure whether I should still come to uk to study if I can't get into top unis.

Same here! I'm an international too and messed up MAT. I just want the rejection to get over soon xD. Anyway, where else have you applied?
Original post by ChiragK
Same here! I'm an international too and messed up MAT. I just want the rejection to get over soon xD. Anyway, where else have you applied?

How badly have you messed up? this year's average score is 44.9, according to the official mat page.
Reply 26
Original post by Smough
How badly have you messed up? this year's average score is 44.9, according to the official mat page.

Oh wow. I guess I'm not too far off then. What about you?
Original post by ChiragK
Oh wow. I guess I'm not too far off then. What about you?

I did horrible (expecting 55-60). Still, this year's average gives me hope.
As at everyone who claims to do poorly in the mat did much better than me. Idk why I'm applying. I'm only the average kid at school.
Reply 29
Original post by Smough
I did horrible (expecting 55-60). Still, this year's average gives me hope.

55-60 is decent even without considering this year's average. All the best!
Reply 30
As at everyone who claims to do poorly in the mat did much better than me. Idk why I'm applying. I'm only the average kid at school.

I feel the same way lol. Just applied to Oxford for the sake of it, never really expected to get in. I have offers from other unis though so I hope this rejection will hurt a bit less xD
Original post by ChiragK
55-60 is decent even without considering this year's average. All the best!

The difficulty is after all relative. I know I could have done way better than that. Best regards to you aswell!
Original post by username4264700
Rejected from Biology at Worcester GCSEs: 9A*s and 2AsPredicted A-levels:A*A*A*A*kinda gutted ngl i was rly hoping to at least get an interview oh well :frown:

What the hell why would they NOT give you an interview for that set of academia, sorry man you got ROBBED.

bro i dont know if im even gonna reach 40 marks tbh
Original post by WIGBLOWN
What the hell why would they NOT give you an interview for that set of academia, sorry man you got ROBBED.

its fine i was really sad at first because i had put SO much work into my application and i spent so long on my ps. im feeling more ok about it now because i legit know that i could not have done more work so if that wasnt enough then i dont belong there
And maybe they don't deserve you! And maybe you wouldn't have been happy there. And maybe you are going to be an utter star in another university. F**k 'em. Follow your own star! (the bad press Oxford is getting over the treatment of a blind overseas student is making me wonder if it's a good place for anyone to go to right now).
Original post by username42647000
its fine i was really sad at first because i had put SO much work into my application and i spent so long on my ps. im feeling more ok about it now because i legit know that i could not have done more work so if that wasnt enough then i dont belong there
Original post by Brightonmama
And maybe they don't deserve you! And maybe you wouldn't have been happy there. And maybe you are going to be an utter star in another university. F**k 'em. Follow your own star! (the bad press Oxford is getting over the treatment of a blind overseas student is making me wonder if it's a good place for anyone to go to right now).

I don't know much about that story, but I believe Oxford Union was behind that treatment, rather than the University (however I am aware I could be wrong).
Original post by Treetop321
I don't know much about that story, but I believe Oxford Union was behind that treatment, rather than the University (however I am aware I could be wrong).

Yes you are right! It was the Union. Awful Institution. (I was at Oxford at the same time as Michael Gove, Boris Johnson and David Cameron so I avoided it like the plague!) Good luck with the future x
The Oxford course which rejected you: Law
The college you applied to: Magdalen
What are your predicted/achieved GCSEs and A-levels, etc.: 5A*, 999988. Predicted 44/45 in IB
Which other university will likely benefit from your presence: idek anymore
Will you reapply next year?: I guess it depends whether the other unis accept me cause if not then i guess so. I thought the LNAT was horrible and clearly, it was.

So upset mannn
Original post by Table12341
The Oxford course which rejected you: Law
The college you applied to: Magdalen
What are your predicted/achieved GCSEs and A-levels, etc.: 5A*, 999988. Predicted 44/45 in IB
Which other university will likely benefit from your presence: idek anymore
Will you reapply next year?: I guess it depends whether the other unis accept me cause if not then i guess so. I thought the LNAT was horrible and clearly, it was.

So upset mannn

Predicted 44/45? That's incredible. I'm just starting to think that the LNAT is the one they use to decide who will be short-listed

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending