The Student Room Group

Best Laptop for a Computer Science (Game Design) Student

I'm entering in September 2020 and will need to get a laptop for studying and coding when I'm on the move. I've looked at the possibility of building my own, like I did with my desktop, but opinions all over the internet suggest that it's not a good idea.

My Desktop:
AMD Ryzen 3 2200G overclocked to 3.9GHZ
16GB of DDR4 @ 3000mhz
GTX 1060 6GB
600W PSU

I wont include anything else as its not necessary, but could any current students or comp sci enthusiasts tell me if I will need a beefy laptop (Like the XPS 13/15) or whether a £400 Lenovo Yoga will do the job? Ideally, could you recommend any upgrades to my desktop too? I've already got 3 monitors with one rotated for code.
Original post by bsharp984
I'm entering in September 2020 and will need to get a laptop for studying and coding when I'm on the move. I've looked at the possibility of building my own, like I did with my desktop, but opinions all over the internet suggest that it's not a good idea.

My Desktop:
AMD Ryzen 3 2200G overclocked to 3.9GHZ
16GB of DDR4 @ 3000mhz
GTX 1060 6GB
600W PSU

I wont include anything else as its not necessary, but could any current students or comp sci enthusiasts tell me if I will need a beefy laptop (Like the XPS 13/15) or whether a £400 Lenovo Yoga will do the job? Ideally, could you recommend any upgrades to my desktop too? I've already got 3 monitors with one rotated for code.

Chromebooks are great laptops for going on the move, and they also have a great battery life (up to 10 hours). They come with good installed applications. The only downside is that everything on the Chromebook is created by Google, so no OneDrive, Word or other computer specific applications.

I think that going with a simple laptop would work, as long as it will get the job done! Remember to have a look at battery life and applications.

Hope I helped!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending