Vand3rwaal
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
1)Does current flow in a circuit having a capacitor?
2)Is the resistance across the capacitor infinite because the potential difference across it is equal to the emf of the supply?
Please help.
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Vand3rwaal)
2)Is the resistance across the capacitor infinite because the potential difference across it is equal to the emf of the supply?
Please help.
Yeah current flows during the time the capacitor is charging or discharging. For a dc circuit with low series resistance that might be a very short time.
Vand3rwaal
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Why is that? May i ask?
Eimmanuel
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Vand3rwaal)
Please help.
For question 1, Joinedup had already answered.

Consider a pair of uncharged parallel plates connected to a battery of certain emf Ve. Each plate is connected to one terminal of a battery, which acts as a source of potential difference. The battery establishes an electric field in the connecting wires when the connections are made. If we focus on the plate connected to the negative terminal of the battery and see what is going on. The electric field in the wire applies a force on electrons in the wire immediately outside this plate; this force causes the electrons to move onto the plate. The movement continues until the plate, the wire, and the terminal are all at the same electric potential.
Once this equilibrium situation is attained, a potential difference no longer exists between the terminal and the plate; as a result, no electric field is present in the wire and the electrons stop moving. The plate now carries a negative charge. A similar process occurs at the other plate, where electrons move from the plate to the wire, leaving the plate positively charged.
In conclusion, the flow of electrons (or current) occurs only in s very short time interval.

As for question 2, I would say it depends on how you see the question. I believe the answer from physics stackexhange would offer some interesting insights to the questions.
https://physics.stackexchange.com/qu...-of-capacitors
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (160)
15.55%
Uncertainty around my education (167)
16.23%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (98)
9.52%
Isolating with family (71)
6.9%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (38)
3.69%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (90)
8.75%
Loneliness (102)
9.91%
Financial worries (46)
4.47%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (94)
9.14%
Exposure to negative news/social media (73)
7.09%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (90)
8.75%

Watched Threads