The Student Room Group

Access to HE

I’m doing an access course and need at minimum: 24 Distinctions and 21 Merits to get into my chosen university.
I recently got an assignment worth 3 credits. If I only get a pass on this assignment, how many of the credits do i get. Also, if I only get a Pass, does that stop me from getting into my chosen University?
I find the whole grading system challenging to understand.
Thank you.
Reply 1
You get 60 credits in an access course.

45 are graded (equivlant to A-level)
15 are ungraded (equivalant to GCSE)

The graded ones can be scored as pass, merit or distinction.
The ungraded ones can only be scored as a pass.

If the assingment you are doing now is your first than it is probably ungraded so you can only achieve a pass in it.

The ungraded units are non optional so every access student has to pass them to get their access qualifcation and are not part of your offer.

If you only achieve a pass in a graded unit then you will not be able to meet your offer as you require a minium of a merit or distinction in all your graded units. The university might accept you anyway but this is at the discretion of the university.
Reply 2
Thank you so much. This makes a lot more sense now!!
Original post by Tyla Leah
Thank you so much. This makes a lot more sense now!!

The uni may still consider you based on increasing the distinctions by three, but technically down as being unable to make the stated requirement as there is no room for pass grades.

Quick Reply

Latest