The Student Room Group

economics

what are the best universities for economics? My predicted from July was ACC -(finance, maths, and biology) however I'm 100% sure I can get at least A*AB-ABC. May I ask what unis would be recommended for me. I'm 99% sure I will be able to get a contextual offer from all uni's based on the postcode I live and my school's attainment grades so the entry requirements I will base on are the contextual ones.
I've applied so far to manchester(ABB), Kent(BBB(IDK what is the contextual grades if there are ones)), Aston (BBB) and bristol (AAB). I also do EPQ but no idea what I'm getting for that
I think Bristol would be a good match for you. If you want to go for something aspirational then maybe St Andrews? The best Universities like UCL, Warwick, LSE, Oxbridge are A*AA or above, whilst being competitive to receive offers in the first place.
More than 85% of successful applicants to single honours economics at LSE have A-level FM, so I don't think the above recommendation of LSE is realistic since you don't even have FM, much less meet their standard offer. Moreover the other universities among that echelon will look for a minimum of AAA, most of them being A*AA or A*A*A. I would note something like A*A*B will not necessarily satisfy an entry criteria of AAA or A*AA.

I think your choices are reasonable so far, you could probably swap Aston or Kent for a slightly more aspirational choice such as Southampton or Loughborough. You may want to consider Exeter, as although I can't personally recommend the university, they do have a long track record of giving out offers well below their published entry criteria.
Original post by artful_lounger
More than 85% of successful applicants to single honours economics at LSE have A-level FM, so I don't think the above recommendation of LSE is realistic since you don't even have FM, much less meet their standard offer. Moreover the other universities among that echelon will look for a minimum of AAA, most of them being A*AA or A*A*A. I would note something like A*A*B will not necessarily satisfy an entry criteria of AAA or A*AA.

I think your choices are reasonable so far, you could probably swap Aston or Kent for a slightly more aspirational choice such as Southampton or Loughborough. You may want to consider Exeter, as although I can't personally recommend the university, they do have a long track record of giving out offers well below their published entry criteria.

Dude I didn't recommend LSE
Reply 4
Original post by ethancruise15
I think Bristol would be a good match for you. If you want to go for something aspirational then maybe St Andrews? The best Universities like UCL, Warwick, LSE, Oxbridge are A*AA or above, whilst being competitive to receive offers in the first place.

yeah I had applied for st Andrews previously but my teacher said that is too ambiguous, I might apply anyhow as it seems good

More than 85% of successful applicants to single honours economics at LSE have A-level FM, so I don't think the above recommendation of LSE is realistic since you don't even have FM, much less meet their standard offer. Moreover the other u niversities among that echelon will look for a minimum of AAA, most of them being A*AA or A*A*A. I would note something like A*A*Bwill not necessarily satisfy an entry criteria of AAA or A*AA.

I thought Aston was a really good uni, is it not, also the main reason I hadn't even considered lse, UCL, etc. wasn't just my a-levels but most of them like Exeter in GCE require grade 5 for English language but I got a 4. but I got the required 7 on maths. would that be such a problem or will my A-levels cancel that out?? lastly, for Exeter, economics without further maths or economics a-level is that possible, and can Exeter be put on the same level as bath uni??? sorry for many questions
Original post by d3vkfc
I thought Aston was a really good uni, is it not, also the main reason I hadn't even considered lse, UCL, etc. wasn't just my a-levels but most of them like Exeter in GCE require grade 5 for English language but I got a 4. but I got the required 7 on maths. would that be such a problem or will my A-levels cancel that out?? lastly, for Exeter, economics without further maths or economics a-level is that possible, and can Exeter be put on the same level as bath uni??? sorry for many questions

You can almost certainly apply successfully to Exeter without A-level FM, the GCSE requirement might be a sticking point though. I'd probably suggest you just resit that GCSE - usually GCSE grade requirements are fairly absolute for university applications (although Exeter are extremely "flexible" in making offers). No university I am aware of in the UK requires A-level Economics for an economics degree.

I would't consider Exeter on par with Bath generally or specifically for any course in theory, however in practice Exeter are very good at marketing themselves as an exclusive, selective and prestigious university so many may well believe they are. I doubt the quality of education is going to comparable outside of their "good" departments (i.e. law, physics, probably history and maybe politics as well).
Reply 6

Only 52% people last year had A level Further Maths for the Economics BsC course.
Original post by Amalv10
Only 52% people last year had A level Further Maths for the Economics BsC course.

That is the percentage of successful applicants who took A-level FM as a fourth A-level. The statistic for how many who took A-level FM, at all, either as one of three or as an additional A-level on top of three other A-levels, is higher (around 80-ish% most years).
Original post by 75976969ujyikuy
Y dont u just do medicine

What are you on about?
What are you on about?

Do medicine forget economics u hv bio
Reply 10
Original post by 75976969ujyikuy
Do medicine forget economics u hv bio

bro, biology is what I'm getting the lowest in C/B, plus biology is my only science, I love maths and the idea of incentives so I'm doing economics. Is there a reason why you want me to forget economics or you just think medicine is better???
Reply 11
You can almost certainly apply successfully to Exeter without A-level FM, the GCSE requirement might be a sticking point though. I'd probably suggest you just resit that GCSE - usually GCSE grade requirements are fairly absolute for university applications (although Exeter are extremely "flexible" in making offers). No university I am aware of in the UK requires A-level Economics for an economics degree.

I would't consider Exeter on par with Bath generally or specifically for any course in theory, however in practice Exeter are very good at marketing themselves as an exclusive, selective and prestigious university so many may well believe they are. I doubt the quality of education is going to comparable outside of their "good" departments (i.e. law, physics, probably history and maybe politics as well).

Thank you very much for your help. I might do a gap year so I'll see about redoing my English language paper and applying to Exeter. Will replace kent or Aston, prob replace kent but kent is much closer to home, ill do more research, what do you think is better??. I've also decided to apply with Loughborough which was really good and I'm wavering dropping manchester. Bristol was my first choice and what I was most excited for but if there's even a small chance I can go Exeter also I'm definitely going. Thanks again for the help
Reply 12
Clearly coming from someone not capable of medicine or economics, your input is not wanted.

Ur cool

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending