The Student Room Group

Problems with AS/A2 history

Hey all, i failed my AS history last year , getting an E grade so i have to retake it this year whilst still being let on to do A2 history. I'll have to take both AS and A2 exams next summer, but not AS if i show improvement.I have a huge problem with history essay writing and almost all my time since i got this grade has gone into history and its starting to lowering my other grades.

I really want to quit because its also really worsening my mental health.Spoke to my tutor and teacher but they want me to keep doing the course and perhaps stay in next year instead and NOT defer my application. I want to switch to combined art doing two years in one.

I hate history now and I get so frustrated then start thinking I'm the stupid one for not getting how to write a bloody essay that's not a D grade. I'm predicted a BBC but I 100% know I wont be able to get a B grade needed for my main choice (surrey.) I'm starting to skip my history lessons because its a waste of time, hoping I'll just get kicked off. I know I have to defer my entry anyway but because they wont let me switch and I'm stuck applying this year, and I know my lower uni choices wont even take me (my lowest uni choice is BBB.) I know that they need the funding since I'm already into the course but seriously this teacher doesnt teach us anything!!! we had one lesson on essays/essay writing and a few printed off advice sheets from books. that's all. I even hired a tutor outside of college to help me on the weekend but I still don't think I can get a B.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by AJ1NS
Hey all, i failed my AS history last year , getting an E grade so i have to retake it this year whilst still being let on to do A2 history. I'll have to take both AS and A2 exams next summer, but not AS if i show improvement.I have a huge problem with history essay writing and almost all my time since i got this grade has gone into history and its starting to lowering my other grades.

I really want to quit because its also really worsening my mental health.Spoke to my tutor and teacher but they want me to keep doing the course and perhaps stay in next year instead and NOT defer my application. I want to switch to combined art doing two years in one.

I hate history now and I get so frustrated then start thinking I'm the stupid one for not getting how to write a bloody essay that's not a D grade. I'm predicted a BBC but I 100% know I wont be able to get a B grade needed for my main choice (surrey.) I'm starting to skip my history lessons because its a waste of time, hoping I'll just get kicked off. I know I have to defer my entry anyway but because they wont let me switch and I'm stuck applying this year, and I know my lower uni choices wont even take me (my lowest uni choice is BBB.) I know that they need the funding since I'm already into the course but seriously this teacher doesnt teach us anything!!! we had one lesson on essays/essay writing and a few printed off advice sheets from books. that's all. I even hired a tutor outside of college to help me on the weekend but I still don't think I can get a B.

Assuming you have made good notes and understand the topic (this is nothing to do with essays), then essays are pretty straightforward and even a half hearted attempt should get you a C.

All essays have a middle beginning and an end.

If its 1,500 words long then think roughly 200intro (4x250) middle and 300 conclusion or evaluation.

If you are skipping lessons it sounds like youve given up and arent interested in trying.
Look on Amazon there are plenty of guides on writing essays.

I would suggest once you have notes, then its simply a case of understanding questions, what they want and then practice.
I would have gone for repeat AS and then do A2 in a following year.

Quick Reply

Latest