The Student Room Group

Is it worth taking Further Maths?

Hello, I am in my second year of A-Levels but last year I did the full Mathematics A-Level. This year I have the option of studying Further Maths but I initially decided to drop it because I wanted to focus on my other three A levels.

Furthermore, I’ve already put through my application to university so maybe it’s not worth it at this point to take on the subject. I’m applying for Physics. I must admit, though, I really miss studying maths and I feel like if I took Further Maths I could do quite well in it. What do you think is my best option here?
Reply 1
I feel like I’m wasting my chance at getting a qualification I know I’d be capable of
Reply 2
Just bumping the thread
If you feel like it won’t affect your other 3 alevels and that you have plenty of time and all and that you are good under stressful conditions be my guest
Original post by allenpc
Hello, I am in my second year of A-Levels but last year I did the full Mathematics A-Level. This year I have the option of studying Further Maths but I initially decided to drop it because I wanted to focus on my other three A levels.

Furthermore, I’ve already put through my application to university so maybe it’s not worth it at this point to take on the subject. I’m applying for Physics. I must admit, though, I really miss studying maths and I feel like if I took Further Maths I could do quite well in it. What do you think is my best option here?

My honest opinion is that it is too late in the academic year to start FM now, and (as you say) it won't help you get uni offers anyway. You made a logical decision to focus on your other 3 A levels and that is what you should do. There is nothing to stop you studying further maths in your spare time and over the summer holidays but I very much doubt your school would allow you to start the course at this stage as you will have misssed loads and catching up could impact negatively upon your other subjects.
Reply 5
Original post by harrysbar
My honest opinion is that it is too late in the academic year to start FM now, and (as you say) it won't help you get uni offers anyway. You made a logical decision to focus on your other 3 A levels and that is what you should do. There is nothing to stop you studying further maths in your spare time and over the summer holidays but I very much doubt your school would allow you to start the course at this stage as you will have misssed loads and catching up could impact negatively upon your other subjects.

Thanks for your input. If I did take it back on I wouldn’t be completely at the start. In fact, I’ve covered a lot of the AS content already either in my spare time or as part of A2 Physics.
Original post by allenpc
Thanks for your input. If I did take it back on I wouldn’t be completely at the start. In fact, I’ve covered a lot of the AS content already either in my spare time or as part of A2 Physics.

A2 physics includes FM, what exam board?
Reply 7
Original post by InfiniteWill
A2 physics includes FM, what exam board?

It would be CCEA.
Original post by allenpc
It would be CCEA.

Guess OCR is different
Reply 9
Original post by InfiniteWill
Guess OCR is different

In A2 Physics for example we cover Hooke’s Law and circular motion, both of which are part of the AS Further Maths applied module
Original post by allenpc
In A2 Physics for example we cover Hooke’s Law and circular motion, both of which are part of the AS Further Maths applied module

ohh, we cover that too. Didnt know it was FM tho xD

Quick Reply

Latest