Bumpy
Infinite Series
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous__02)
From what I’ve seen you can’t earn more than about £30k after a Bsc or MChem
I haven't looked much into the degree, but I know that a Chemistry degree from a top uni could land you jobs in competitive finance areas, such as Investment Banking, where you can expect to earn six-figures. This is because many companies look for transferrable skills in applicants, such as problem-solving and critical thinking, which a chemistry degree will provide.

This link shows some more careers that a Chemistry degree would be useful for: https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-...gree/chemistry
Chief Wiggum
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Why couldn't you earn more than 30k with a chemistry degree?

Sounds like complete nonsense to me.
MrMusician95
Badges: 19
Report 3 weeks ago
Also, a £30k starting salary after a bachelor's is fine. Most graduate schemes, unless finance/banking, don't pay more than £30k.
Acsel
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'm going to say yes, you are delluded (although I wouldn't use such a strong word). You've effectively made 2 mistakes. The first is assuming everyone that does Chemistry goes on to do a Chemistry-esque role. And the second is assuming none of those roles ever pay more than £30K.

IDK exactly what roles you have in mind, but they're almost certainly not the only ones you can do with a Chemistry degree.
Anonymous__02
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by MrMusician95)
Also, a £30k starting salary after a bachelor's is fine. Most graduate schemes, unless finance/banking, don't pay more than £30k.
(Original post by Infinite Series)
I haven't looked much into the degree, but I know that a Chemistry degree from a top uni could land you jobs in competitive finance areas, such as Investment Banking, where you can expect to earn six-figures. This is because many companies look for transferrable skills in applicants, such as problem-solving and critical thinking, which a chemistry degree will provide.

This link shows some more careers that a Chemistry degree would be useful for: https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-...gree/chemistry
So I could potentially go straight into investment banking with a Chem degree?? (Or other non related to Chem careers)
Anonymous__02
Rep:
?
(Original post by Chief Wiggum)
Why couldn't you earn more than 30k with a chemistry degree?

Sounds like complete nonsense to me.
Can you give me some examples
Anonymous__02
Rep:
?
(Original post by MrMusician95)
I’m not talking about starting salary though
Chief Wiggum
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Can you give me some examples
Surely most graduate jobs would be open to someone with a Chemistry degree? Eg banking, management consultancy etc.
Sim0nbo55
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Law conversion course and become corporate lawyer, making up to 45k in first year only if ur very good
Patent law
IB
IT
Accounting
Consulting
All of which look favourably upon chemistry graduates and pay good money, more than 30k
Last edited by Sim0nbo55; 3 weeks ago
Infinite Series
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
So I could potentially go straight into investment banking with a Chem degree?? (Or other non related to Chem careers)
That's possible, but it isn't easy to get into investment banking, regardless of whatever degree you have.

If you are interested in this path, it's very important to secure internships during university (spring weeks and summer internships). Once you get the job, they'll train you up with everything you need to know.
But you do need to have done a lot of reading in finance for the interviews so that you can show them that you're really interested in pursuing this career.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you voted in today's general election?

Yes (178)
48.77%
No (44)
12.05%
I'm not old enough (143)
39.18%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed