Confused about adjustment process and in desperate need of help

Watch
Lyaz
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
I'm currently in Year 13 and I am applying for Computer Science. I have so far received a conditional offer from Queen Mary and an unconditional offer elsewhere. I am thinking about making QM my firm choice. However, I've always wanted to go to UCL but I didn't apply because I didn't meet the entry requirements and it would've been a waste of a choice.

Could anyone clarify how the adjustment process works? Do UCL do adjustment for Computer Science even? Could I go through the UCl adjustment process even though I didn't apply for it as one of my five original choices? Will going through adjustment mean my firm choice disappears? If I fail at adjustment, can I still go to my firm choice? Does putting my unconditional offer as insurance mean it is still unconditional if I don't get into my firm choice?

I'm kind of stressing about all of this hence all the questions lmao so any help would be greatly appreciated.
kngysng
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
To go through adjustment you have to reject your firm choice, yes, but only if you receive a place through adjustment. Otherwise you’ll keep your other place.
UCL do participate in adjustment, not sure specifically about computer sci but I presume they would. You can always contact admissions to check that.
As for the unconditional, it depends what it says. If it says something along the lines of “AAB. This offer will be updated to Unconditional if you put it as your firm choice”, it becomes Conditional if you put it as a reserve. If there are no grades stated and it appears on UCAS as Unconditional (instead of “This Offer Is Subject To Conditions” with details of an unconditional in the letter) then it will be unconditional even if you reserve it and miss your firm entry tariff.
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
A good TSR article to read that might make the entire 'results' process clearer for you :
What happens on Results Day : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/res...el-results-day

The relevant chunk about Adjustment :
If you exceed the requirements for your firm offer, you can consider looking for a place at a different university asking for higher entry grades. This is not the same as Clearing, which is for people who do not hold any university place offers.

Exceeding your offer means that you must meet and exceed the conditions that are stated in your firm choice offer. So, if your firm offer is ABB and you get AAB then you are eligible for Adjustment, but you are not eligible if you get ABC or ABBB.

Remember you do not have to give up your firm offer in order to explore what else might be available to you in Adjustment, and you don't have to accept any alternatives you are offered.

How to do the practical stuff re. UCAS Track :
https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergradu...etter-expected
Lyaz
Rep:
?
(Original post by kngysng)
To go through adjustment you have to reject your firm choice, yes, but only if you receive a place through adjustment. Otherwise you’ll keep your other place.
UCL do participate in adjustment, not sure specifically about computer sci but I presume they would. You can always contact admissions to check that.
As for the unconditional, it depends what it says. If it says something along the lines of “AAB. This offer will be updated to Unconditional if you put it as your firm choice”, it becomes Conditional if you put it as a reserve. If there are no grades stated and it appears on UCAS as Unconditional (instead of “This Offer Is Subject To Conditions” with details of an unconditional in the letter) then it will be unconditional even if you reserve it and miss your firm entry tariff.
Thank you so much, that cleared it up for me.
Lyaz
Rep:
?
(Original post by returnmigrant)
A good TSR article to read that might make the entire 'results' process clearer for you :
What happens on Results Day : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/res...el-results-day

The relevant chunk about Adjustment :
If you exceed the requirements for your firm offer, you can consider looking for a place at a different university asking for higher entry grades. This is not the same as Clearing, which is for people who do not hold any university place offers.

Exceeding your offer means that you must meet and exceed the conditions that are stated in your firm choice offer. So, if your firm offer is ABB and you get AAB then you are eligible for Adjustment, but you are not eligible if you get ABC or ABBB.

Remember you do not have to give up your firm offer in order to explore what else might be available to you in Adjustment, and you don't have to accept any alternatives you are offered.

How to do the practical stuff re. UCAS Track :
https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergradu...etter-expected
Thank you, that's really helpful.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (25)
18.25%
I'm not sure (3)
2.19%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (45)
32.85%
I have already dropped out (3)
2.19%
I'm not a current university student (61)
44.53%

Watched Threads