The Student Room Group

I got myself into trouble with Bank...

Hey
So I have my Barclays account put under review 3 weeks ago and I will have the final results next week.
My brother owe me money around £200, he has send me it to my paypal which I later withdrew to my bank acc.
Few days later Barclays put my acc under review. I have called them they told me not much but enough to understand that the problems lays with the money I received from my brother.
He finally admitted to me that he scammed some people on facebook marketplace and thats why he had money to give back to me. If I only knew that...
So since I withdrew the money from ATM this could go under money laundering or whatever its called.
I had zero knowledge that this money comes from a scam. Paypal has already issued a chargeback and my brother is on negative balance there, but I can't be bothered about it as my account is freezed for a month and most likely will end up in closure of the account and CIFAS marker...

This means I won't be able to open bank acconut in e.g. halifax, hsbc, santander etc for next 6 YEARS!!! crazy haha
I am still active student for next two years, guys what are my alternatives to have working bank account? To receive my student finance, make payments etc. I got no idea...
You need to get some proper professional advice.
Start with CAB and go from there
You may need some legal advice- can you afford to make an appointment at a local lawyers office?
Some lawyers firms offer free consultations and a few uni's also offer free legal advice from their law students.

But you are not liable for your brother's problems or any dispute that he has with paypal.
Firmly dispute all allegations that you have committed any fraud and don't make any comments or allegations about your brother.
Reply 3
Original post by londonmyst
You may need some legal advice- can you afford to make an appointment at a local lawyers office?
Some lawyers firms offer free consultations and a few uni's also offer free legal advice from their law students.

But you are not liable for your brother's problems or any dispute that he has with paypal.
Firmly dispute all allegations that you have committed any fraud and don't make any comments or allegations about your brother.

So I shouldn't tell my side of the story to the bank? Like describe the situation of what actually happen and why I got that money on my account?
Original post by nefroti
So I shouldn't tell my side of the story to the bank? Like describe the situation of what actually happen and why I got that money on my account?

It’s very important that you get professional advice before you go to the bank.
This is your future financial security you’re talking about.
A student forum isn’t the place to get that advice
Original post by nefroti

Have you been asked to tell your side of the story by your bank?
It is your brother that has the paypal dispute not you, paypal can sue your brother is they are able to prove that he owes them money.

Money laundering requires a crime proven to be committed and that the money launderer be involved in an illegal conspiracy.
Receiving payment of a loan is not a crime- but it will be very helpful if you have kept the IOU dated and signed by your brother agreeing to pay you back the loan.
Wow, sorry don't know how to advise.

(Other than get a new brother.)
Reply 7
Original post by londonmyst
Have you been asked to tell your side of the story by your bank?
It is your brother that has the paypal dispute not you, paypal can sue your brother is they are able to prove that he owes them money.

Money laundering requires a crime proven to be committed and that the money launderer be involved in an illegal conspiracy.
Receiving payment of a loan is not a crime- but it will be very helpful if you have kept the IOU dated and signed by your brother agreeing to pay you back the loan.

Not yet, the final results of the review are set on 21st of November so I will go from there.
I don't really have any documents and anything that my brother had owe my anything, it wasnt a big amount just under 200 pounds, he made a payment to my paypal as family/friend and I withdrew that money from my paypal to my account.
Reply 8
Original post by I like sprouts
Wow, sorry don't know how to advise.

(Other than get a new brother.)

You are right. My brother is a fking braindead.
Original post by nefroti
Hey
So I have my Barclays account put under review 3 weeks ago and I will have the final results next week.
My brother owe me money around £200, he has send me it to my paypal which I later withdrew to my bank acc.
Few days later Barclays put my acc under review. I have called them they told me not much but enough to understand that the problems lays with the money I received from my brother.
He finally admitted to me that he scammed some people on facebook marketplace and thats why he had money to give back to me. If I only knew that...
So since I withdrew the money from ATM this could go under money laundering or whatever its called.
I had zero knowledge that this money comes from a scam. Paypal has already issued a chargeback and my brother is on negative balance there, but I can't be bothered about it as my account is freezed for a month and most likely will end up in closure of the account and CIFAS marker...

This means I won't be able to open bank acconut in e.g. halifax, hsbc, santander etc for next 6 YEARS!!! crazy haha
I am still active student for next two years, guys what are my alternatives to have working bank account? To receive my student finance, make payments etc. I got no idea...

If you have a cifas marker get a prepaid card

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending