The Student Room Group

The left side of my face hurts

The area near my ears is sensitive to touch. My left cheek is also very sensitive to touch. This happened once before and now again today. Does anyone know what it might be?

Scroll to see replies

Probably wisdom teeth trying to get through.
How old are you?

Could be wisdom teeth coming through

Take simple painkillers. Paracetamol, aspirin, ibuprofen etc.
If it continues then speak to a pharmacist first.
I get pain on the left side of my face when I've let ear wax build up for too long without putting drops or getting them syringed at the GP practice. But I don't know if that happens to people who don't have an ear wax problem (my old GP said she'd never seen one person produce as much ear wax as I do :eek: ) :redface:
Reply 4
Original post by Sammylou40
How old are you?

Could be wisdom teeth coming through

Take simple painkillers. Paracetamol, aspirin, ibuprofen etc.
If it continues then speak to a pharmacist first.

I did a bit of research and apparently it could be "Trigeminal neuralgia" which sounds scary as hell.
Original post by Anonymous

I did a bit of research and apparently it could be "Trigeminal neuralgia" which sounds scary as hell.

Ah, doctor google

Bad idea

Nip to the chemist tomorrow. The pharmacist will advise you and tell you to see your gp if necessary.
Have you got your wisdom teeth yet?
You’re the right age. It’s not pleasant for some people
Reply 6
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I get pain on the left side of my face when I've let ear wax build up for too long without putting drops or getting them syringed at the GP practice. But I don't know if that happens to people who don't have an ear wax problem (my old GP said she'd never seen one person produce as much ear wax as I do :eek: ) :redface:

Ah feel like the older I grow the more things there are wrong with me. I hate this. I have always been healthy and since last year I am having one issue after the other like wtaf give me a break lol
I don't have that problem, I don't think. Does your ear hurts as well? And the bit where the ear separates from the jaw? My jaw is so sore to touch. When I touch it, it doesn't 'hurt' in a way that I would be hurt if I cut my skin. It's an uncomfortable feeling, don't even know how to explain it
Reply 7
Ah, doctor google

Bad idea

Nip to the chemist tomorrow. The pharmacist will advise you and tell you to see your gp if necessary.
Have you got your wisdom teeth yet?
You’re the right age. It’s not pleasant for some people

hahaha I diagnose myself all the time, I should stop.

I never knew you could see the pharmacist in place of the GP. I think I might make an appointment with the GP tbh. I am just anxious. I dont want to be officially diagnosed with anything, if I know I am ill I will feel it. If I don't I can pretend I am fine. :frown:

Wisdom teeth? Pretty sure that stuff happens when we are toddlers. No, I am sure it isn't anything of that nature.
Ah feel like the older I grow the more things there are wrong with me. I hate this. I have always been healthy and since last year I am having one issue after the other like wtaf give me a break lol
I don't have that problem, I don't think. Does your ear hurts as well? And the bit where the ear separates from the jaw? My jaw is so sore to touch. When I touch it, it doesn't 'hurt' in a way that I would be hurt if I cut my skin. It's an uncomfortable feeling, don't even know how to explain it

:console:

My ears become very sensitive and painful, particularly at the part where the ear attaches to my face (if that makes sense). I get a dull throbbing type of pain when I have this problem, but the pain does spread across my jaw on whichever side of my face (usually left in my case) is affected. My cheek becomes more puffy than usual and is sensitive to touch. The pain becomes a bit sharper if I touch that area of my face/ear, and I have to be careful when brushing my teeth...

Try not to worry too much, especially about the neuralgia thing. It's very easy to self-diagnose with all kinds of things by Googling - best bet is to see a doctor and/or dentist :yes:
hahaha I diagnose myself all the time, I should stop.

I never knew you could see the pharmacist in place of the GP. I think I might make an appointment with the GP tbh. I am just anxious. I dont want to be officially diagnosed with anything, if I know I am ill I will feel it. If I don't I can pretend I am fine. :frown:

Wisdom teeth? Pretty sure that stuff happens when we are toddlers. No, I am sure it isn't anything of that nature.

What you are describing sounds exactly like wisdom teeth erupting.
They typically come through between 18-22. Hence “wisdom
:console:

My ears become very sensitive and painful, particularly at the part where the ear attaches to my face (if that makes sense). I get a dull throbbing type of pain when I have this problem, but the pain does spread across my jaw on whichever side of my face (usually left in my case) is affected. My cheek becomes more puffy than usual and is sensitive to touch. The pain becomes a bit sharper if I touch that area of my face/ear, and I have to be careful when brushing my teeth...

Try not to worry too much, especially about the neuralgia thing. It's very easy to self-diagnose with all kinds of things by Googling - best bet is to see a doctor and/or dentist :yes:

It sounds literally like what I am experiencing (all the bits in bold), and you explained the sensation - which I could not. So at least now I can tell my GP what it is that I am experiencing haha. Cheers.

So glad you are not diagnosed with that neura something. Gives me hope I won't be too because this condition effects only 1 million people worldwide (was so stressed out when I read that).

Do you think I really should go to the GP or let the pain fade like it did last time? I don't really want meds.Doyou take any? Also, not to be intrusive but what causes this? Is it seasonal for you? Do you get it a lot?
What you are describing sounds exactly like wisdom teeth erupting.
They typically come through between 18-22. Hence “wisdom

Oh, right... lol I wasn't aware. haha so dumb.
Thanks.
It sounds literally like what I am experiencing (all the bits in bold), and you explained the sensation - which I could not. So at least now I can tell my GP what it is that I am experiencing haha. Cheers.

So glad you are not diagnosed with that neura something. Gives me hope I won't be too because this condition effects only 1 million people worldwide (was so stressed out when I read that).

Do you think I really should go to the GP or let the pain fade like it did last time? I don't really want meds.Doyou take any? Also, not to be intrusive but what causes this? Is it seasonal for you? Do you get it a lot?

If it IS ear wax, rather than some other problem, then there is a simple (albeit only temporary) solution: get some Otex dual action ear drops from Boots (it's expensive but worth it!). Make an appointment with your GP practice's nurse for about a week's time, and in the meantime, put five drops of Otex in each ear for at least five days. Then the GP practice nurse can syringe your ears. It's not painful (the syringing), btw, though you may be a bit dizzy after it for up to 5 mins :yes:

There are no meds for ear wax afaik, just drops. I'm not on any meds for this. No one quite knows why I produce so much ear wax! All we know is that when it builds up a LOT, then it press against the nerves that run through my face, causing the sensitivity and dull throbbing pain :yes:

All this said, I think the wisdom teeth thing is a good shout and worth figuring out whether that is what's happening. I originally thought my jaw throbbing ache thing was dental, so had a tooth removed but then it STILL hurt for several days afterwards, so dentist told me to see GP :yes:
(edited 4 years ago)
If it IS ear wax, rather than some other problem, then there is a simple (albeit only temporary) solution: get some Otex dual action ear drops from Boots (it's expensive but worth it!). Make an appointment with your GP practice's nurse for about a week's time, and in the meantime, put five drops of Otex in each ear for at least five days. Then the GP practice nurse can syringe your ears. It's not painful (the syringing), btw, though you may be a bit dizzy after it for up to 5 mins :yes:

All this said, I think the wisdom teeth thing is a good shout and worth figuring out whether that is what's happening. I originally thought my jaw throbbing ache thing was dental, so had a tooth removed but then it STILL hurt for several days afterwards, so dentist told me to see GP :yes:

Thank you so much for the detailed reply.

A tooth removed?? Did the new one come through? Sorry if my questions are bizarre, I just get very anxious about having things wrong with my health.
I already have a dental checkup coming up next week. Should I bring it up with my dentist or should I first talk about it with my GP?

There are no meds for ear wax afaik, just drops. I'm not on any meds for this. No one quite knows why I produce so much ear wax! All we know is that when it builds up a LOT, then it press against the nerves that run through my face, causing the sensitivity and dull throbbing pain :yes:

By the way, the dental checkup is for something else, not this.
Thank you so much for the detailed reply.

A tooth removed?? Did the new one come through? Sorry if my questions are bizarre, I just get very anxious about having things wrong with my health.
I already have a dental checkup coming up next week. Should I bring it up with my dentist or should I first talk about it with my GP?

Oh it wasn't a wisdom tooth in my case, and I don't think that tooth has regrown (though have been having this jaw pain recently, so maybe it is now :tongue: ). Bring it up with the dentist first and see what they say, would be my advice :yes:
By the way, the dental checkup is for something else, not this.

First stop tomorrow, pharmacy.
They’ll advise you
Either by giving you something over the counter or recommending you see either your gp or dentist.
Take painkillers tonight.
( I spent many years as a nurse btw)
They’ll advise you
Either by giving you something over the counter or recommending you see either your gp or dentist.

Alright, will do. I just wanted a lazy route and go straight to the GP but I suppose I should do as you say. Alternatively I could wait until my Dental checkup on Tuesday and once she finishes it, I could ask her to see if the pain is due to wisdome teeth? If she says yes, I will have saved myself the visit to pharmacy. If she says no, I will just go to GP.

Took 2 paracetamols just now. :smile: Thank you xx
They’ll advise you

As I was brushing my teeth before bed just now, I realised my gum is a little 'bumpy' Good God will the dentist take my tooth out if this is wisdome teeth coming through? Ah I dread this.
Alright, will do. I just wanted a lazy route and go straight to the GP but I suppose I should do as you say. Alternatively I could wait until my Dental checkup on Tuesday and once she finishes it, I could ask her to see if the pain is due to wisdome teeth? If she says yes, I will have saved myself the visit to pharmacy. If she says no, I will just go to GP.

Took 2 paracetamols just now. :smile: Thank you xx

You’re welcome. If you can bear the pain then by all means wait for the dentist.
It’s very hard to give you a diagnosis without seeing you which is why the pharmacy is better placed to help you. When you go in just ask to speak in private.

Warmth can help so try covering a hot water bottle in a towel and hold it on your cheek.
But do get checked and look after yourself

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending